What percent of successful applicants took a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how many people who actually get accepted had their full degree (4 years undergrad) before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

you can also look at the aamc matriculating student questionnaire (can't link because my account is too new)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from the AAMC matriculating student survey data:

xproxy.php,qimage=http,P3A,P2F,P2Fi.imgur.com,P2F2r9s6gk.png,ahash=678add44f306755a42fcd7e5f57620b6.pagespeed.ic.BPSmycoDFC.webp

Looks like next year, 1-2 gap year(s) is going to become the most common type of admitted app.

Reactions: 1 users
When I applied the first time around, I was planning to apply w/o a gap year.

However, with the increasing competitiveness of norm applicant, gap year is more and more common. For example, some applicants might take a year off to finish their research project so they have a publication in hand when applying.

Blows my mind that 65% of last year's matriculating class didn't have debt prior to starting medical school. And here I am with 25k undergraduate debt and 45k SMP debt.

At least everything worked out lol, but still makes me feel weird. Hopefully I get extremely lucky and get some money from my schools next spring (but I seriously doubt it even though I received scholarships from both undergrad and graduate school).

About 50% of our class took at least one year between undergrad and med school. Many did other degrees in the meantime