What percentage of applicants apply early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Title

• 0-19%

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 20-39%

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • 40-59%

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • 60-79%

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • 80-100%

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets define early as having AMCAS submitted by June 30th.

Members don't see this ad.

wouldn't it be better to ask how early we applied?

i don't know how early everyone applies.

why is this a poll exactly?

wouldn't it be better to ask how early we applied?

i don't know how early everyone applies.

why is this a poll exactly?

That was my question too when I saw this.

If you're going to do a poll, set it up to be "When did you apply? (US MD Only)"

And have the options be:

June -- Accepted
July -- Accepted
August -- Accepted
September -- Accepted
October -- Accepted
November -- Accepted
June -- Waitlisted
July -- Waitlisted
August -- Waitlisted
September -- Waitlisted
October -- Waitlisted
November -- Waitlisted
June -- Rejected
July -- Rejected
August -- Rejected
September -- Rejected
October -- Rejected
November -- Rejected

(Have it be US MD only because DO schools often accept apps much later.)

Members don't see this ad :)
That was my question too when I saw this.

If you're going to do a poll, set it up to be "When did you apply? (US MD Only)"

And have the options be:

(Have it be US MD only because DO schools often accept apps much later.)

Nope. Applied in August and did fine (I guess we should say, when were you complete with your secondaries).

Nope. Applied in August and did fine (I guess we should say, when were you complete with your secondaries).

That was the idea in the way I suggested doing it was to "determine" when the latest to apply is, since that seems to be the common question related to the OP's post.

I definitely want to apply early. I've heard that the longer you wait, the tougher competition gets.

Are we talking SDNers or the general population? BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG difference.

That was the idea in the way I suggested doing it was to "determine" when the latest to apply is, since that seems to be the common question related to the OP's post.

:thumbup:

Anyway, apply early. I know that it provides a big advantage from talking to a lot of different people.

Early, meaning try to complete in July latest.

Are we talking SDNers or the general population? BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG difference.

Depends... do we want to talk about people who get accepted or just people who simply walk around telling every attractive female within earshot that they're "going to be a doctor someday"?

The big question is "when does the medical school actually get your primary application in its hand?"

One year shortly after we went to electronic application dumps from AMCAS (2002-03 cycle?), the dean told me that 25% of the anticipated applications for the season arrived in the first data dump. That's a lot of early applications.

I'm not sure being early helps as much as it did when we dealt with paper. Now the applications can be sorted by gpa, MCAT, URM status, undergraduate school, state of residence, etc and the cream can be skimmed each day so getting in early may not help you as much as it did when we had paper applications that were much harder to sort through.

The big question is "when does the medical school actually get your primary application in its hand?"

One year shortly after we went to electronic application dumps from AMCAS (2002-03 cycle?), the dean told me that 25% of the anticipated applications for the season arrived in the first data dump. That's a lot of early applications.

I'm not sure being early helps as much as it did when we dealt with paper. Now the applications can be sorted by gpa, MCAT, URM status, undergraduate school, state of residence, etc and the cream can be skimmed each day so getting in early may not help you as much as it did when we had paper applications that were much harder to sort through.

:clap: So it's more fair now! :highfive: