1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What Percentage of Classes Do You Go To???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sng33, Aug 8, 2002.

1. sng33

sng33 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have heard from many people that most students do not go to very many classes in med school except for the ones that require attendance, is this true? What is the reasononig behind it, and how does this work for you guys in terms of doing well? I will start school in a couple days and was curious if this was true.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. phllystyl

7+ Year Member

well ive heard the same thng so ive asked a few people i know in med school about it. I did the same thing in college, and it turns out the reasoning is the same. Some people learn better outside of the lecture hall, studying the book and what not instead.

4. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    All of them.

We have strictly enforced mandatory attendance.

Of course, I'd probably go to most of them anyways.

5. mikegoal

mikegoal rebmeM
    10+ Year Member

it depends on the class and your learning style and the professor. i personaly didn'y really see the point of anatomy or histology lectures they were just giving you facts. however in a class like physiology u can get a lot out of the lecture especially if you looked at the material beforehand.

6. blueintheface

blueintheface Member
    7+ Year Member

some med schools have lectures all day long from 9-5 with a one hour lunch break, which can get overwhelming, especially when you are then expected to go back home and read the textbooks for several hours. i attended about 50-75% of the classes, more at the beginning of the semester and less towards the end when i would spend more time in the library reviewing books/notes and doing old exams. i know some people who didn't go to any lectures at all and did very well on the exams just by using books and notes from a note-taking service. i guess it all depends on how you learn best, but either way it is important to have a routine so that you study for several hours each day. and no matter how well you think you know the material, it always helps to do as many practice questions as possible.

7. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

I went to 95% of my classes and slept through 50% of them second yr. People used to always ask me why I went to class and slept, but it was always just convenient to be woken up after an hour for a nap by my classmates talking in the lecture hall after the lecture was over, and you never know what you might absorb while you are asleep. Sure, you'd probably absorb more if you stayed awake, in theory.

8. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

I'll get flamed for this one, but I plan on going to every class. I learn best if I hear it and write it.

9. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

Last year, I was pretty good about going to class. UTMB has an "intermediate" curriculum - part traditional, part PBL. We only have 22 hours of class/week, max. This year, Ive been going to fewer. Of course, we've only had cardiovascular so far, and the course directors told us straight up that 95% of the exams would come directly from the reading. After that, honestly, why bother??? I do (obviously) go to PBL and lab, as they are required to pass.

Star

10. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "Don't Dream it -- Be it."

Rocky Horror Picture show?

~AS1~

11. Smurfette

Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I personally went to about 98% of classes my first year...when I skipped, it was usually to avoid listening to a bad lecturer, in which case I either studied or slept for the hour, and then went to the following lecture (for a different course).

However, at my school, certain classes were more "skippable" than others. Anatomy, Neuro useful to attend....Biochem, Physio highly optional as don't usually get too much out of the lectures, just use the notes instead.

Find out from a friendly second year what classes and lecturers are worth attending and which ones are less worthwhile. ;)

12. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    why flamed? i'm with you on this and plan to do the same thing!!!! :)

13. genieinabottle

genieinabottle Crazy 'bout the Boards
    10+ Year Member

I went to like 98-99% of my classes. I did fall asleep in some of them, especially the 8 am histo, but I always felt more comfortable if I went to lecture. Most of our test material came from lecture so it was helpful in that sense. We had a pretty decent note taking service, so some people hardly ever came to class. It also depends on the class. Some profs are really good and the material hard to get on your own, so those are the ones where the class is more full. It's sad when people dont' come to lecture because I feel like if they are there to teach, then we should be there to learn. But honestly, some profs are not good.

14. drdaizy

drdaizy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was terrified of missing something during my first year of med school, and as a result attended nearly all of my classes faithfully. Every day. All this despite the loud-mouthed cretins in the back of the class who talked so much and at such high volume during lectures that you couldn't hear the professors speak and at least one faculty member with a salivation problem (yes, I was in the front row at the time). During my second year I figured out that the notes were great, it wasn't always worth it to be there, and that sometimes you just need to sleep, hang out with some good friends for a while, or enjoy a beautiful day instead of being in lecture. I was still there about 75% of the time and did just as well if not better than first year, and it didn't hurt me on the USMLE. Do what you feel is best and what you're comfortable with. :D

15. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

AlternateSoul,

Yes, it's from RHPS :). Just because it's from a (awesome, nifty, cult classic) B rated movie doesnt mean that its not a good thing to live by.

smiles!
    Star