MD what percentage of doctors teach at academic medical centers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pioneer22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what percentage of practicing physicians are teachers / professors in some capacity at academic medical centers, ie. Columbia NYP ?

I can't imagine all of the 1000s of doctors at each are professors...so how many are just attending physicians there? is it like 75% of physicians are also professors in some capacity?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Like how many in a given academic medical center are JUST Physicians, no research / teaching?

I'm pretty sure all the physicians at academic medical centers are on faculty (have an academic appointment). How much that translates to teaching, research, etc will likely vary from institution to institution. We have lots of community physicians on faculty, and they do very little teaching compared to the ones at the main medical center.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So what percentage of practicing physicians are teachers / professors in some capacity at academic medical centers, ie. Columbia NYP ?

I can't imagine all of the 1000s of doctors at each are professors...so how many are just attending physicians there? is it like 75% of physicians are also professors in some capacity?

Thanks

If you count working with medical students on rotations and residents, then almost all physicians at academic medical centers "teach".

For what it's worth, havig an academic title vs. "just a clinical" title depends more on research, national presence and attending meetings, admin duties etc. ironically, people who love being doctors and love teaching the next generation of physicians are often not the "academic" doctors.

Reactions: 4 users
It really varies.

An increasing number of academic centers have different tracks - clinical track and research track. The paths to promotion/tenure are defined differently for each (or at some centers clinical track is a "non tenure" track).

But bottom line if you're an attending employed by an academic center/university - it's more or less a given that your title will be "assistant professor" or higher
And this doesn't even delve into whether faculty are adjunct or tenure/non-tenure track!

so do docs @ academic medical centers get paid by the patient (like normal, PP physicians do), or is it a set salary per year, like you would see for a PhD researcher / professor?

Depends entirely on the practice model. The attendings at my institution are paid for clinical productivity by and large, though there are a few that focus on research and get a salary based on that. Our primary care docs set their own salary and have to meet a certain productivity based on that salary, otherwise they have to pay the money back.