Nov 26, 2013
Hey,

I've been reading the "freaking out, I failed CS" threads and I'm def not in that boat. I didn't do everything perfect but I speak english (have 2 Ivy League degrees so if they fail me on SEP I really have no hope) and spent lots of time connecting w SPs often at expense of better physicals so not worried about CIS. But, I think that my data gathering was above average, PEs average, and notes maybe below average (had lots where just 2 on DD, couldnt think of 3 supporting positives or negatives etc). Plus I dont know how to type so just really slow.

Specifically for the ICE subsection, what portion of score is PN? If I left things out that I really asked in data gathering bc no time to type thorough HPI, how much does that could against me? How "bad" can patient note be to still pass the ICE srction?

Plasmatron88

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Patient notes are the main portion of ICE, the PE is the minor portion, and ICE is heavily dependent on your patient note, It all depends on how well your note was, go to the usmle website and check out the step 2 cs manual. In the end there are sample patient notes written, if at least 6-7 of your notes are like those mentioned for a good score , no need to worry, if 5-6 then that's okay too, but if majority of notes you feel were below par then you could be in trouble.
2 DD are fine as long as you can strongly support them? did you write supporting points? if yes then how many? were your tests accurate and reasonable without being too aggressive?, did you list differentials in order of likelihood? Did you include pertinent +ve and -ve findings in HPI and Physical? how well were you able to fit in everything?
Only you can answer these questions, and if in the majority you feel "No'' to these questions then it could be a problem, otherwise you should be fine.
As a side note they are getting pretty strict on PN marking these days.

Plasmatron88

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I totally neglected to write orders for one patient, and I comfortably passed ICE
You dont have to write any orders, treatment, doses etc. There are no marks for it.
What exactly are you referring to by "orders"?

Mar 1, 2014
Scranton
Status
Medical Student
Hey,

I've been reading the "freaking out, I failed CS" threads and I'm def not in that boat. I didn't do everything perfect but I speak english (have 2 Ivy League degrees so if they fail me on SEP I really have no hope) and spent lots of time connecting w SPs often at expense of better physicals so not worried about CIS. But, I think that my data gathering was above average, PEs average, and notes maybe below average (had lots where just 2 on DD, couldnt think of 3 supporting positives or negatives etc). Plus I dont know how to type so just really slow.

Specifically for the ICE subsection, what portion of score is PN? If I left things out that I really asked in data gathering bc no time to type thorough HPI, how much does that could against me? How "bad" can patient note be to still pass the ICE srction?
Patient note is the majority of the ICE; checklist of "sorry" "can i do anything to help the pain now" "did you understand everything i said?" "hope you feel better" is majority of CIS; and well.. english is the majority of SEP

The website, as well as all the step 2 cs books have examples of the stuff. I heard first aid is the best one for it. Make sure to read the intro, as it will help you 'flow better'

Plasmatron88

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Lab tests, imaging, etc. I did not scroll down for my first encounter, so I neglected to fill anything in. PASS. Very clean pass.
Messing up one encounter doesn't matter, you probably did well on the other encounters so thats what you made it through easily, Congrats :)

Reactions: Cinclus