What places are ideal for me to apply to?

futuremed0

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I'm currently a Junior (graduating early in December) and I was curious about my chances getting into certain schools. I am a black female that currently has a cumulative GPA of 4.0 and a science GPA of 4.0. I am taking the MCAT May 5th and I'm not sure what scores I need to receive to be considered for schools like Perelman, Emory, etc. I am a scribe in the ER currently and I have been a part of many extracurricular activities/volunteering. I would like to know the minimum MCAT score I should receive to be considered for schools like that? or where you all would recommend I apply?

Thank you!

DokterMom

7+ Year Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    1. Non-Student
      Hello,

I'm currently a Junior (graduating early in December) and I was curious about my chances getting into certain schools. I am a black female that currently has a cumulative GPA of 4.0 and a science GPA of 4.0. I am taking the MCAT May 5th and I'm not sure what scores I need to receive to be considered for schools like Perelman, Emory, etc. I am a scribe in the ER currently and I have been a part of many extracurricular activities/volunteering. I would like to know the minimum MCAT score I should receive to be considered for schools like that? or where you all would recommend I apply?

Thank you!

As a black woman with a 4.0, you'll need a 500 for lower-tier MD schools (the 500 demonstrates you're capable of handling the work) and anything above that moves you "up the ranking scale". Your GPA is stellar and your URM status will probably help to some extent -- I'd look at each school's 10th percentile as your application floor and look at that score as the number to beat.

About the Ads

futuremed0

2+ Year Member
      Apr 21, 2018
      1. Pre-Medical
        As a black woman with a 4.0, you'll need a 500 for lower-tier MD schools (the 500 demonstrates you're capable of handling the work) and anything above that moves you "up the ranking scale". Your GPA is stellar and your URM status will probably help to some extent -- I'd look at each school's 10th percentile as your application floor and look at that score as the number to beat.

Thank you so much for this helpful information! I really do appreciate it. I have a quick question, when you say "look at each school's 10th percentile", how do I find that information? Their website or just by google?

swgadoo

2+ Year Member
        May 8, 2017
        1. Pre-Medical
          If you click into the school, and scroll to the admissions statistics (or similarly named) area, then you can see a box and whisker plot of the mcat scores and gpas!

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.