What Post Baccs could I get into with a ~2.7 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillIEverMakeIt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any in southern california?

Members don't see this ad.

If there's not a good program near you, or there is one that won't take you...just do a DIY postbacc. You don't really need an official program to take classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing at a time, man...your post doesn't address the question at all.

and yours is too short sighted.

a lot of people think that with a post bac only they will be competitive.

just reminding the OP they have a long way to go.

First thing OP needs to do (regardless of location or setting) is starting As in science classes. if that can't happen it doesnt matter if the OP is at UCLA or USC or name-your-own-DIY

First thing OP needs to do (regardless of location or setting) is starting As in science classes. if that can't happen it doesnt matter if the OP is at UCLA or USC or name-your-own-DIY

It's not short sighted to answer the question actually passed rather than some random opinion that doesn't even try to address the OP. That's like calling yours short sighted because you didn't mention ECs :rolleyes:

Any in southern california?

Hey, I was in the same position as you two years ago. I had an ugpa of 2.73 and was looking into postbac programs. From what I recall about researching into the Cali programs was that they were either competitive and not for me due to my low gpa (scripps) or were for URMs, particularly hispanics if I recall correctly.

Most postbacs around the country require higher admissions standards than what I had (2.7gpa) so pretty much most of them I couldn't get into. But one of the programs I looked into was SFSU postbac, this is from their website:

"Admission Requirements
Applicants to either the Career Changer Track (CCT) or Academic Enhancer Track (AET) must have graduated from an accredited institution of higher learning with a baccalaureate or higher degree and a final GPA of 2.5 or above, or they must earn a GPA of 2.5 or above in their most recent 60 semester-units or 90 quarter-units of course work. Because of the limited number of students that can be accommodated by the Program, applicants with considerably higher GPAs will have an advantage in being admitted. However, GPA will be only one of many factors in evaluating applicants."

Not in socal but it's one of the few, if not the only one I saw that had lower admissions standards than the typical 3.0-3.5 that most postbacs are looking for.

I opted to do my postbac at an extension school with open enrollment on the east coast. You can also look into enrolling at UC Berkeley extension but I haven't heard to many good things coming out of there, for example I heard that some of their classes were taken at community colleges but are branded UCB extension classes. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with that.

Good luck on your journey. I'm two years in and still going strong. :thumbup:

Hey, I was in the same position as you two years ago. I had an ugpa of 2.73 and was looking into postbac programs. From what I recall about researching into the Cali programs was that they were either competitive and not for me due to my low gpa (scripps) or were for URMs, particularly hispanics if I recall correctly.

Most postbacs around the country require higher admissions standards than what I had (2.7gpa) so pretty much most of them I couldn't get into. But one of the programs I looked into was SFSU postbac, this is from their website:

"Admission Requirements
Applicants to either the Career Changer Track (CCT) or Academic Enhancer Track (AET) must have graduated from an accredited institution of higher learning with a baccalaureate or higher degree and a final GPA of 2.5 or above, or they must earn a GPA of 2.5 or above in their most recent 60 semester-units or 90 quarter-units of course work. Because of the limited number of students that can be accommodated by the Program, applicants with considerably higher GPAs will have an advantage in being admitted. However, GPA will be only one of many factors in evaluating applicants."

Not in socal but it's one of the few, if not the only one I saw that had lower admissions standards than the typical 3.0-3.5 that most postbacs are looking for.

I opted to do my postbac at an extension school with open enrollment on the east coast. You can also look into enrolling at UC Berkeley extension but I haven't heard to many good things coming out of there, for example I heard that some of their classes were taken at community colleges but are branded UCB extension classes. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with that.

UCBX classes are not taken at Ccs... Actually, I'd highly recommend their classes. I've learned a lot and enjoyed the process and even, in one course, been curved against the concurrent UC Berkeley on campus course. Pretty much everyone there is prehealth, so there are plenty of people to talk shop with, compare stories and plans to, and just generally move class discussions in directions you're mutually interested in. The profs go out of their way to learn enough to be available for LORs, and it's just generally been a positive experience. My only comparison is to a top liberal arts college, and my verdict is that the competition is a bit lower, but not much, the courses are only slightly easier, but much more directly geared towards the MCAT. Organization is decent. They are perhaps overpriced, but at least they offer upper levels that you won't find at ccs. :shrug:

If there's not a good program near you, or there is one that won't take you...just do a DIY postbacc. You don't really need an official program to take classes.

True. I would find a structured curriculum prefferable if possible though.

UCLA Extension.

Is that not only for URMs and such?

1 more year and Im going to do my best. I plan on applying DO btw; would I still need an SMP in addition to a post-bacc? Also, I know there are some SMPs that promise an enrollment to med schools if you finish with a 3.0 or so; would it then be preferrable to only do an SMP, in regards to time?

"Admission Requirements

Thanks for answering, where did u apply/end up at if u don't mind me asking?

Also, I know there are some SMPs that promise an enrollment to med schools if you finish with a 3.0 or so; would it then be preferrable to only do an SMP, in regards to time?
Where?

I've been round these parts for around 4.5 years now and i've never heard of such a place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for answering, where did u apply/end up at if u don't mind me asking?

I only applied to one postbac, Harvard Extension. I didn't get in but I enrolled in the classes (open enrollment) and I just finished up my pre-reqs this past semester. I started with a 2.73 gpa and I've raised it to a 2.93 in the postbac. I'm taking the mcat soon and will apply to a few med schools next cycle and I plan to apply to SMPs in the next few months (with hopefully an acceptable MCAT score).

It's a long road indeed...hopefully it will all be worth it some day.

You are confusing UCLA Extension with UCLA postbac. UC Postbacs are for URMs, while UC Extensions, you only need $$ to pay for your classes.

Where?

I've been round these parts for around 4.5 years now and i've never heard of such a place.

Several of the DO SMPs that offer guaranteed interviews are "purportedly" guaranteed admissions if you hit their stated GPA/MCAT cutoffs.

OP: Self-directed postbacc to 3.0+ cum/sci (a lot of schools seem to have 3.0 cutoffs), then SMP. The postbacc programs that "get you into med school" so to speak unsurprisingly have prereqs that would largely get you admitted to med school in the first place (temple, bryn mawr, groucher).

Your options are ultimately going to be constrained by what you want, how much time you have, and how much money you're willing to spend. Depending on your grade distribution, you could likely make yourself a very competitive DO candidate with their grade replacement policy (read the fine print). If you're set on MD you have a pretty harsh road ahead of yourself - if you're truly a special snowflake and can score a high 30s on the MCAT you might get into, and get away with a "upper-tier" SMP provided that you nail it. That is a road with an awful lot of ifs and a whole lot of buts to wind up with a maybe.

Temple, for one

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

Many places guarantee interviews.

And yes, OP, that would be ideal...but you're not getting into those programs with a sub-3.0 gpa.

Hmmm, some like Drexel consider upward trend in grades. No harm in applying but I won't bank on it

I only applied to one postbac, Harvard Extension. I didn't get in but I enrolled in the classes (open enrollment) and I just finished up my pre-reqs this past semester. I started with a 2.73 gpa and I've raised it to a 2.93 in the postbac. I'm taking the mcat soon and will apply to a few med schools next cycle and I plan to apply to SMPs in the next few months (with hopefully an acceptable MCAT score).

It's a long road indeed...hopefully it will all be worth it some day.

Keep it up man. Never give up!

You are confusing UCLA Extension with UCLA postbac. UC Postbacs are for URMs, while UC Extensions, you only need $$ to pay for your classes.

Oic thanks for clearing that up.

Several of the DO SMPs that offer guaranteed interviews are "purportedly" guaranteed admissions if you hit their stated GPA/MCAT cutoffs.

OP: Self-directed postbacc to 3.0+ cum/sci (a lot of schools seem to have 3.0 cutoffs), then SMP. The postbacc programs that "get you into med school" so to speak unsurprisingly have prereqs that would largely get you admitted to med school in the first place (temple, bryn mawr, groucher).

Your options are ultimately going to be constrained by what you want, how much time you have, and how much money you're willing to spend. Depending on your grade distribution, you could likely make yourself a very competitive DO candidate with their grade replacement policy (read the fine print). If you're set on MD you have a pretty harsh road ahead of yourself - if you're truly a special snowflake and can score a high 30s on the MCAT you might get into, and get away with a "upper-tier" SMP provided that you nail it. That is a road with an awful lot of ifs and a whole lot of buts to wind up with a maybe.

When taking classes on your own, how do u know which will count toward your science gpa? Can an adviser help out with that?

Btw I plan on attempting the DO route

When taking classes on your own, how do u know which will count toward your science gpa? Can an adviser help out with that?

Btw I plan on attempting the DO route

AACOMAS publishes a variety of PDFs with everything that you need to know (minus some potential ambiguity with certain grade replacement scenarios). I would not personally take an advisers word for anything and would verify everything myself.

Generally, if it's recorded as a Bio, Chem, Physics, or Math course, it goes into your sGPA. Anything else doesn't...I think the cutoff is "80% of the course material covered BCPM subjects" or something frustratingly discrete, yet unquantifiable like that. So, for example, Biochem = science, but computer science = not (for AMCAS). This is why a lot of people discuss their 'BCPM' gpa or their 'BCPM courses'.

Now, what that means for courses like geologic chemistry (a geos course) or something strongly physics based like an upper level astro, I dunno. :shrug:

Generally, if it's recorded as a Bio, Chem, Physics, or Math course, it goes into your sGPA. Anything else doesn't...I think the cutoff is "80% of the course material covered BCPM subjects" or something frustratingly discrete, yet unquantifiable like that. So, for example, Biochem = science, but computer science = not (for AMCAS). This is why a lot of people discuss their 'BCPM' gpa or their 'BCPM courses'.

Now, what that means for courses like geologic chemistry (a geos course) or something strongly physics based like an upper level astro, I dunno. :shrug:

BCPM is as you correctly noted for AMCAS. AACOMAS (which is for most DO schools, Texas being a notable exception) doesn't count math towards your "science" gpa.

This is why you really need to read the primary literature, rather than relying on others.

BCPM is as you correctly noted for AMCAS. AACOMAS (which is for most DO schools, Texas being a notable exception) doesn't count math towards your "science" gpa.

This is why you really need to read the primary literature, rather than relying on others.

Word. I knew AAMCOMAS was slightly different, but I figured I'd let others handle that one as I haven't looked into it very much (I don't plan to apply DO).

Honestly, for something that impacts your future this heavily, you should always do your own searches anyways...just let our comments give you an idea of where to look!

I agree, you would be a year or more likely two (depending on how many credits you have) of A level coursework away from being competitive for most formal post-bacs. Here's some advice for dealing with a lower GPA.

http://www.regis.edu/~/media/Files/RC/Academic%20Programs/Biomedical%20Sciences/lower%20gpa%20advice.ashx

That said, I've seen some pretty amazing recoveries. It is possible. Difficult, but possible. :)

Don't get all bundled up in calculating and recalculating your potential Science GPA; that will vary from school to school. Instead, focus your energy on getting stellar grades, one semester at a time and then go from there. Stay focused, stay grounded and keep building on smaller goals.