fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status
With my schedule, by the time I finish my content review, I would only have 11 days before my MCAT. How should I spend that 11 days? I haven't done any FL test yet. I have access to all the Kaplan course stuff and am looking to buy the AAMC, but would it be wise for me to do like 8 practice test (and review them all the same day), and then spend 3 days just reviewing content notes? My test is on April 23rd and I'm trying to run through 2 lectures a day and this brings me all the way to April 9th. My content is really horrible so I feel like I really need to be sure to read my books.

Oh my time schedule, if all goes well, I would have finished all my EK books by April 9th (this is mainly just reading the notes). From April 10th to April 23rd I plan to do test. Since I have a midterm on April 19th, I would be missing a day on April 18th studying for my school exam. With this schedule, what would you plan I do?

I've only done one practice exam and that's my diagnostic test for kaplan.

Would it be wise for me to take AAMC 7, 8, 9, 10, Kaplan FL 3,4,5,6 and then review them the same day. Then going up to test in the last 3 days, I just do some individual verbal practice (I really don't have much verbal practice on my schedule), and review some content notes.

Any suggestions?

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status
also, is all content review no practice a stupid idea? I'm only doing the lecture problem for EK and just running through each chapter this way. I'm going at a rate of 2 lecture a day (except for days when I have to study for midterm).

Edit:
Would it also be recommended that I go ahead and take one Kaplan FL test and see how I do and then go back to hacking at all the content review? I got a 23 on the kaplan diagnostic, but I heard it's a bad indication of how I'll really do.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I sense panic...
Have you taken any FL tests at all? If you wait until just 11 days before the actual MCAT and your score isn't what you'd like, you are not going to be able to reschedule, cause as far as I know, they want you to do that 2 weeks prior your test date.
Also, many people struggle with verbal, I think you should squeeze in at least one passage a day into your schedule.

good luck!!!

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
With my schedule, by the time I finish my content review, I would only have 11 days before my MCAT. How should I spend that 11 days? I haven't done any FL test yet. I have access to all the Kaplan course stuff and am looking to buy the AAMC, but would it be wise for me to do like 8 practice test (and review them all the same day), and then spend 3 days just reviewing content notes? My test is on April 23rd and I'm trying to run through 2 lectures a day and this brings me all the way to April 9th. My content is really horrible so I feel like I really need to be sure to read my books.

Oh my time schedule, if all goes well, I would have finished all my EK books by April 9th (this is mainly just reading the notes). From April 10th to April 23rd I plan to do test. Since I have a midterm on April 19th, I would be missing a day on April 18th studying for my school exam. With this schedule, what would you plan I do?

I've only done one practice exam and that's my diagnostic test for kaplan.

Would it be wise for me to take AAMC 7, 8, 9, 10, Kaplan FL 3,4,5,6 and then review them the same day. Then going up to test in the last 3 days, I just do some individual verbal practice (I really don't have much verbal practice on my schedule), and review some content notes.

Any suggestions?
First and foremost, do AAMC exams to get an idea of what you're scoring. If you have extra time, then try any other full lengths you want, but DON'T score them. Just do them for the experience. Try to finish each section on the AAMC exams five to ten minutes early, so you are prepared when the real MCAT is harder. It's far more important to review your exams than actually take them, so go for quality review rather than a quanttity of exams.

As for the best thing to do during the last two weeks, there's a set of BR exams specifically designed for the last few weeks. If you can find them on eBay or have a friend who took the class, I'd do those summary exams (even if they're marked on, because it's for exposure, not the diagnostic aspects). There are maybe ten to fifteen total, and they are designed for the last month, covering all of the topics and providing thorough answer explanations that sum up the last minute information you want to cram into your head.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status
Thanks for the advice.

when you say squeeze in a verbal passage a day, would you say I should just do a random passage on the EK 101 book?

Should I do AAMC test now before I finish content review or later.

Would it still be a good idea to do the BK exam since I might not even have done much FL yet? I read that the kaplan FL are better than AAMC test 1-6. Do the AAMC test give explanations also?

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I would take some CBT versions of the MCAT from AMCAS. Buy three of them and take them evenly spaced. I wouldn't do three in 11 days though. Do three between now and test day evenly spaced.

Jul 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think AAMC CB tests are more representative of the actual test than Kaplan. I'd go with those. If you have access to Kaplan FL start doing them as well, at least you will gain an idea of which topics you definitely need to review.

As far as verbal, you cannot cram for it, you need to practice it every day in order to be comfortable with pacing yourself and strategy.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Would it still be a good idea to do the BK exam since I might not even have done much FL yet?
The paper exams that I'm talking about? Definitely. It's exactly what they are designed for. The questions cover the entire range of topics in each subject and the expalanations are written for someone who has already reviewed. They are made to remind them of key formulas or concepts, rehash a trick here and there, and mostly list the points they were expected to know to get the question right.

You should mix in a few full lengths as well, but if you have access to the review exams (not CBTs, but the 10 to 15 exams given in the class at the end), those are really helpful.

Ceasar

5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Am I the only person who thinks you might want to postpone til Mayish? No need to freak yourself out, but if you have access to all this material, it would seem that you would want to use it and not rush it. Trust me, if you go to the MCAT feeling anything less than rested, calm, and prepared, expect to knock a few points of each section from shear nervousness. Just be sure you're ready to take it in April, but 11 days and having taken none of the FLs you have access to makes me stressed for you.

If you simply must take the MCAT in April, start taking them now even though you haven't finished your review. Just go for it; if you're doing Kaplan, you have access to enough FLs that you can take a few without being fully read in the topics. I'd wait if I were you. No point in getting a low score juts because you feel the need to take in April. Just sayin. . . Good luck either way!

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status
If I take the test May 1st, my score would come out June 1st and tha to would basically mean I would have to submit my app the day my score comes out for earliest application day?