What pre requisites did you took as a non traditional dental student?

Marie19393

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
I want to know if you took only the basics: biology 1-2, chem1-2,phy1-2 and orgo 1-2, biochem. Or if you decided to take some upper level sciences.

I'm choosing between only taking the pre requisites but I would like to have some anatomy and physiology because some dental schools recomend them.

Any advice?

OP
M

Marie19393

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
I took all of the ones you mentioned and microbiology. I am applying this cycle, but I think I'm going to take Anatomy and Physiology this year
Interesting! Let's see what others took. I want to take everything in a 2 year frame.

NavyDDS1990

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Interesting! Let's see what others took. I want to take everything in a 2 year frame.
Of the courses some dental schools recommend, I have taken Histology, Human Physiology, Human Embryology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, and etc. The ones I just listed here are all graduate level courses, except Microbiology

DrLTD

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I took the required courses + anatomy, physiology, biochem, microbiology, histology, neuroanatomy, and gross anatomy. Good times!

schmoob

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
I want to know if you took only the basics: biology 1-2, chem1-2,phy1-2 and orgo 1-2, biochem. Or if you decided to take some upper level sciences.

I'm choosing between only taking the pre requisites but I would like to have some anatomy and physiology because some dental schools recomend them.

Any advice?
You don't really have much of a choice at first. I would take the prereqs, apply, and continue taking upper level courses in case you do not get an offer. This way you have a stronger application the following cycle. Upper level courses help, but you don't want to potentially miss out on a year.
That's just my opinion though. Good luck!