What present do I get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mezmerized7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am planning to get a gift for a female doctor who I shadowed and who wrote a stellar letter, what should I get her?

I don't have a lot of money, so something relatively cheap but worthwhile will do.

Members don't see this ad.

chocolate!!!! I think u cant go wrong with that.

Erased because I don't want to tread on anybody's toes :p

Members don't see this ad :)
You could get her a gift card to a semi-decent restaurant.

Really....seems some of you guys can't make any decisions without SDN anymore..

It's okay...step away from the computer and choose your own present...not everything has to be that calculated..

"If I get her socks she might think I like feet and then she'll think I want to be a podiatrist and tell all her friends I want to be a podiatrist and then I will only be able to go to podiatry school when I apply!!!!?? AHH!!!"

Think about her personality and get her something memorable. Stop by a gift shop and you will have an idea. Chocolate and flowers are not memorable.

Think about her personality and get her something memorable. Stop by a gift shop and you will have an idea. Chocolate and flowers are not memorable.
This is better advice for a gift for the gf :p. I agree with the other posters, get her a small gift from a place like godiva (unless she is diabetic).

Really....seems some of you guys can't make any decisions without SDN anymore..

It's okay...step away from the computer and choose your own present...not everything has to be that calculated..

"If I get her socks she might think I like feet and then she'll think I want to be a podiatrist and tell all her friends I want to be a podiatrist and then I will only be able to go to podiatry school when I apply!!!!?? AHH!!!"
:lol:

And I love your signature.

On another note, some weight-conscious female doctors may not appreciate (and in fact, be insulted by) the gift of sweets or chocolate.

J/K, no can resist the power of chocolate. Just wanted to add to the neuroticism. :D

What do you guys discuss? Books? TV? Movies? Get her a book/TV series/movie that she's never seen but you think she'll like. Only the TV series will run you over $15.

What do you guys discuss? Books? TV? Movies? Get her a book/TV series/movie that she's never seen but you think she'll like. Only the TV series will run you over $15.
The doctor I shadowed was big into swimming. She always talked about the constant-current swimming pools. Yeah, couldn't afford one of those suckers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when are poor pre-meds expected to buy gifts for doctors?

I say just write a nice thank you letter and give her updates about your progress from time to time.

The thing that pleases mentors the most is to be let in on your progress and to feel that they had a hand in your success.

I would say give her the best thank you card ever!

Here is the deal (as Obama says)
She is a doctor so anything that you get her she could realistically get herself if she really wanted to. I know I always feel awkward when I get gifts (especially if I have nothing to give back) so then I worry about if I offended someone by not remembering them. Then I spend a bunch of time looking around for a gift to get that person in return and then it is WAY too late to give a gift to that person...but i still feel I need to. So then I wrap the gift (which takes more time and energy) and then need to either go down to the post office and either stand in line for eternity or remember to bring the gift on the day that the person I am giving the gift to will be there.

In the end I think it will cause the doc more trouble than it is worth. My advice would be that if you are giving a gift to give it in January after the hollidays as a "token of appreciation" or if you insist on giving something to the doc in celebration of WHATS HIS FACES birthday then just give her a sweet thank you card so the doc does not waste their precious time trying to find you a gift.

1. Cut a hole in a box.

timberlake-samberg-dick-box-pepsi.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to the posters who actually answered my question logically. And NO, I do not need SDN to make decisions. I was just thinking about other people's ideas...if they had any.

Since when are poor pre-meds expected to buy gifts for doctors?

I say just write a nice thank you letter and give her updates about your progress from time to time.

The thing that pleases mentors the most is to be let in on your progress and to feel that they had a hand in your success.

:thumbup:

Although I do like very, very dark chocolate, too. :oops:

My recommendation would be to donate money to a charity of your/her choice in her honor. Make sure you do not provide her address,e-mail, phone # etc to the charity (they can go after her for more money and can be a pain).

and

of course a heartfelt thankyou note

I did itunes for one of them but she was young and I know she uses her ipod to work out each day... I gave her a gift because she spent 6 months helping me through hospital red tape- the other physicians I shadowed I just sent a nice hand-written note.