WHAT PS Service did you guys use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabilesmail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've searched this but I wanted more recent results. I really need to submit my application by Tuesday and need tons of editing (Almost done with my PS, on last paragraph) but it seems all the SDN readers are busy :/

Where would you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I've searched this but I wanted more recent results. I really need to submit my application by Tuesday and need tons of editing (Almost done with my PS, on last paragraph) but it seems all the SDN readers are busy :/

I used... (drum roll please) my professors, mentors, physicians, friends.... why pay for someone. I also didn't use the SDN readers. I had one read it and the feedback was okay but nothing particularly amazing/mind-blowingly helpful.

Do you have any friends or family who can read it?

The problem (IMHO) with professional editors is that they'll give you a professional-looking PS -- and not an individualized one. Your family and friends, however, may not know much about medical school applications (though at this point, you do) but they do know what sounds authentic to you and what best reflects who you are and what you bring to the table.

Of course, if your family and friends don't know how to write or structure an essay, that can be a little less helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used my brain and SDN.

I wrote my own. Had a couple good friends, wife, and a couple of regular SDN-ers read it. Didn't need any changes.

I got a TON of compliments on it during my interviews. I do think I'm fairly good at writing (R on MCAT writing sample), but I'm not a professional at all.

Be honest, be yourself, and write in an honest voice, and you'll be fine.

Thanks guys. I'll have a few friends read mine but none of them are really medical students or premed. I was hoping to use a PS service more for grammar and such.

I

I just got my premed adviser who is an adcom for a medical school to read it.

My PI, an MD/PhD student who works in the same lab as me, both of my advisors, my good friend, and a couple people on SDN.
Total cost: $0.00

My PI, an MD/PhD student who works in the same lab as me, both of my advisors, my good friend, and a couple people on SDN.
Total cost: $0.00

Not sure if I'm a good friend or one of a couple of people on SDN. Or maybe I'm an advisor.. Or a secret MD/PhD :confused:

I plan on editing my PS by myself until I'm too disgusted and discouraged to make any further changes, at which point I'll admit defeat and submit it because it's going to suck either way.

I had a few people who've applied to medical school look it over for some tips on organization and grammar.

I plan on editing my PS by myself until I'm too disgusted and discouraged to make any further changes, at which point I'll admit defeat and submit it because it's going to suck either way.

Thats the spirit!

I wish I knew some medical students to take a look :/

I had a few people from SDN and my mentors look over it. Got some great suggestions and feedback from some of them :).