What psych elective should i take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankNecrosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of doing a psych elective in C/L or Child and Adolescent. Both of them seem appealing to me.

I will be an MS - 4 and I think I either going to go into FM or Psych. Any thoughts on what I might expect during either of these electives, and/or what benefits my selection may have on my future career in psych or FM.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have the option of doing a psych elective in C/L or Child and Adolescent. Both of them seem appealing to me.

I will be an MS - 4 and I think I either going to go into FM or Psych. Any thoughts on what I might expect during either of these electives, and/or what benefits my selection may have on my future career in psych or FM.

Thanks

Make sure you had a neurology and ER rotations..

Everything else works well for FM but not Psych and vica versa.

Addiction will work for both fields

Members don't see this ad :)
Either C&L or C/A will be helpful in both psych or FM. They are prob much more important if you decide to go into FM b/c you'll have dedicated rotation of those in a psych residency. If you go into psych, I would recommend doing as much medicine as possible. Also, doing endocrine and neurology will serve you well in either field, too, as both areas have a lot of psych overlap.

I would also HIGHLY recommend enjoying your 4th year as much as possible before you start working your butt off in intern year. Relax, visit friends and family, watch lots of movies, drink wine...:D

Absolutely agree with Maranatha about Endocrinology. Way too useful for both to ignore.