• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclinkin94

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You don't have to be black to be African american and you don't necessarily have to be white to be Caucasian. I am Egyptian. So can I safely put African American?

amethystdoc

Apr 17, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you're Caucasian, then that means you're white. White people live all over the world, so they're not necessarily European. So yes, you HAVE to be white to identify as caucasian.

You're Egyptian. So that would make you middle eastern. If there's a "Arab American" option then that's what you would be.

The reason I don't recommend you put that you are African American is because I read an article recently where a white person, originally from Mozambique (in Africa) identified himself as African American and apparently black people were offended that he would identify himself as that and he was kicked out of Medical School I believe. Completely ridiculous.

mclinkin94

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you're Caucasian, then that means you're white. White people live all over the world, so they're not necessarily European. So yes, you HAVE to be white to identify as caucasian.

You're Egyptian. So that would make you middle eastern. If there's a "Arab American" option then that's what you would be.

The reason I don't recommend you put that you are African American is because I read an article recently where a white person, originally from Mozambique (in Africa) identified himself as African American and apparently black people were offended that he would identify himself as that and he was kicked out of Medical School I believe. Completely ridiculous.

Actually it is not as you say. He was suspended for harassment of someone else and not because of what he put in the application. Here is the link. I really want to put African American though. This is what I am, and who is to deny?

Link:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7567291&page=1#.T6BKv-hYsU0

About the Ads

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You are not african american pal... Put it down and see what happens...nobody will touch you with a 10 foot pole after the interview

juilletmercredi

Aug 13, 2011
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
The problem is that "African American" is not meant to be taken in a literal sense. Yes, you may be an African who lives in America, but that doesn't necessarily make you African American in a racial sense. African American is usually a 'polite' designator that really refers to black Americans who are descended from black sub-Saharan Africans.

In most cases, you'd be considered white:

"White (Not Hispanic or Latino) - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa"

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
Put African American. Abuse the loophole until it gets closed. This Affirmative Action racism needs to be stopped.

Myro

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status (Visible)
I'd do it if I were you. I'd be using any advantage I could and maximizing any loopholes, etc.. to strengthen chances of getting accepted. It's a dog eat dog world and you gotta do what you gotta do OP.

Put it down and stay black!

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
Plus Egypt is in Africa so this is a no-brainer...

Jamie561

7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
Status (Visible)
Oh mods, how many threads will you allow one user to make on the same topic?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.