What questions should I ask a potential employer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an optometrist wants to hire you as an associate, what are some good questions to ask before considering the position?

Members don't see this ad.

If an optometrist wants to hire you as an associate, what are some good questions to ask before considering the position?

1) What happened to the previous associate?

2) What do you expect from me as a new associate?

3) Do you see this possibly leading into a partnership or is this strictly employee contract?

:xf:

1) What happened to the previous associate?
2) What do you expect from me as a new associate?
3) Do you see this possibly leading into a partnership or is this strictly employee contract?:xf:
Will I be paid as an independent contractor (will have more taxes, less benefits) or an employee?

Bonus structure for increasing production?
Expected patient load?
Get a written contract.

If you're still applying for the position, I'd tread more carefully than if you're at the final hiring process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, he wants me to join his practice as an associate. I'm not done with school yet, but would like to hire me in the future and is trying to persuade me now. The practice is successful and I would very much like the position. I'm just not sure how I should "play the game" if I even need to at all. Are there certain things I should request or questions that would show i'm partner material. Perhaps I just shouldn't worry about those things at all and concentrate on graduating. Then when the time comes, take the job and see where it goes. Thank you all for your help. i do have a lunch meeting with him and the partner that will be retiring (the one i'm taking the place of). If you guys have any thoughts on this process or words of caution or advise, i'd love to hear them. Thank you to those who have already responded. Your suggestions will definitely be used.

Some questions off of the top of my head from the research I've done:
  • How many patients do you see in a typical day? (Will I be paid $XXX a day to manage 10 patients, or 30 patients?)
  • Describe your practice philosophy.
  • How do you think the practice is percieved by patients? by other healthcare professionals?
  • What are the short/long-term goals of the practice?
  • What is the community like here? What are your typical patient demographics?
  • Why are you hiring?

I've been advised to ask about a daily minimum when interviewing, especially if you're doing fill-in work. I'm not sure how common this tactic is, but apparently some doctors will put an ad out for a fill-in doc saying they'll pay you 75-80% of what you generate, and then do their best to schedule as many of their non-paying exams (e.g., contact lens evaluations, spec checks, etc.) as possible on the dates that they want you to work. I would imagine that this approach is not unique to either private or retail practice.

Well, he wants me to join his practice as an associate. I'm not done with school yet, but would like to hire me in the future and is trying to persuade me now. The practice is successful and I would very much like the position. I'm just not sure how I should "play the game" if I even need to at all. Are there certain things I should request or questions that would show i'm partner material. Perhaps I just shouldn't worry about those things at all and concentrate on graduating. Then when the time comes, take the job and see where it goes. Thank you all for your help. i do have a lunch meeting with him and the partner that will be retiring (the one i'm taking the place of). If you guys have any thoughts on this process or words of caution or advise, i'd love to hear them. Thank you to those who have already responded. Your suggestions will definitely be used.
I think you're sitting in a great position!

Have a position waiting for you makes 4th year SO MUCH more enjoyable!
Your classmates will be envious.

It sounds like you're familiar with the doctor/practice and he know you. I'd be asking about the partnership track: how soon and how much? If it's a situation where you can see yourself as a partner, there's no better time to start buying in than day one, why rent when you eventually want to own, & why be an employee when you eventually want to be employer.

A perfect scenario would be:
  • The retiring doc to leave the day you arrive (you'll be busier/more profitable if he's gone).
  • Buy in on day one and retiring doc finances the purchase (you don't have to qualify for a loan & he's motivated to promote you to hos old patients). A 25% down-payment would still be a good deal and it make financial sense for the seller too.
  • Hiring a neutral consultant to determine the selling price.
Good luck