What questions to ask interviewer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kam730, Sep 15, 2002.

1. kam730

kam730 Senior Member

I have my first interview in a couple of days and I know at the end they ask you if you have any questions. I have a few pertaining to the particular school, but I was wondering if anyone had some good general questions that I should ask. Please help!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
  4. kenfused

kenfused Senior Member
    Partner Organization

In General, try not to ask your interviewer any questions that are readily available on the website. Try to ask questions that involve your interests in the school, or try to address any concerns you might have about the school.

Asking about sttrengths and weaknesses of the school, and about how the students do in the residency match are also good questions to consider.

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Ask what the interviewer particularly likes and/or would like to see improved about the school.

6. secretstang19

secretstang19 Member

I've heard from someone who used to be in admissions to be careful how you ask a question like that... the way that you posed it is probably fine, but I guess some people have asked that kind of question in a more confrontational way. Something more along the lines of "What is the biggest problem/weakness at this school, and what are you doing about it?" Probably a fair question, but one that can definitely be taken badly by the interviewer.

7. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member

What do you guys think about asking.

"How would you rate my application compared to others in the application process?"

Pros/Cons of this approach.

Also, if it is a closed interview, maybe you can get a sense of how the interview went by asking this question at the end.

Any comments?

8. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member

Probably not a good idea. The approach is somewhat equivalent to asking a date how the date went. If you have to ask, then it didn't go that well. It shows a lack of self confidence. Also, if granted an interview, most applicants have similar numbers. The interview is a make or break event where they want to know who you are that distinguishes you from the crowd.

I've spoken to several physicians who have been on adcoms before. This is the time to shine and show to them that you are an interesting person.

9. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    of course with the website suggestion, you should research the answers for the school and come up with a question about their specific program. oh, and try not to ask the adcom to answer #31 for you.

10. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Thing not to ask:

Boxers or briefs?

11. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member

dpark, you hit a homerun on your comment. I agree.

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I would have to take issue with your signature.