What r my chances u think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rfathi1

Post-bacc student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a degree in Accounting with a GPA of 3.15. I've taken community college courses and a post-bacc and raised the GPA to a 3.40 and I have a 3.70 BCPM GPA. I'm a little worried still of my cumulative GPA. I have yet taken the MCAT but as far as GPA alone, am I going to be cutfor med schools in Chicago? Also, I've heard that non-traditional applicants have a slight advantage. Is this advantage negligible especially if you didn't do as well as you hoped in your non-traditional major?

Members don't see this ad.

After you have your MCAT score you'll have a lot better idea of how you stand.

Non-traditional refers to how someone spends their time after graduation, not what their major was. I'm not sure if post-baccs are considered non-traditional, but I doubt it. It usually refers to people who have taken at least a few years off to work before returning to school.

Your GPA will below the average for pretty much any medical school, but with solid ECs and a good MCAT, you can still have a shot at med school. I'd apply more broadly than just Chicago though.

Your cumulative GPA with Postbac is a 3.4, although your CC grades will likely be discounted since you did not perform well in the 4yr.

Nontraditional applicants do not have an advantage. Medical schools judge you based on what you've done, not how old you are. It is just that most non-trads have more experiences and had done more to prepare for medical school than a student out of college. So the best way is to evaluate how you've spent your time since college.

Get a great MCAT (33+), and you'll be okay for instate Illinois schools. UChicago might be out of the question, but you should at least give it a shot.