Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What r reasons why pharmcsts should NOT report suspectd abuse of meds?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by marx, Nov 21, 2005.

1. marx

marx Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    just wondering,, what and are there any reasons why pharmacists should NOT report someone suspected of abusing meds? i hear alot of why they should, but are there any reasons why it shouldn't be reported? thanks! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I don't know, but your post showed a lot of reasons for the necessity of an auto-spell checker.

I mean you have to use professional judgement, and when you use this term there are always a given set of exceptions, or examples to whatever 'rules' govern the body of pharmacy.

If you suspected a patient was abusing meds instead of reporting him and probably ending up in jail, it may be in the best interest to:

contact physician to relay this to the patient when discussing treatment options (he has to get a prescription)

work with physician to develop a plan of action, lower dosage, gradual phase out, possible placebo.

contact family members to intervene and work with the patient.

consel patient yourself and work towards betterment of his condition.

there are a lot of other options aside from 'yeah he's abusing codeine. bust him.'

4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I usually call the physician and stop it from the point of distribution.

On the other hand, there are some shady pharmacies around here that seem to not care - just as long as the script is valid, because as long as the CYA factor is taken care of, they just want to make the sale and rake in the dough. No different than the guys over in Sunnyside slinging crack rock.

5. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Are you referring to patients or to staff?

6. marx

marx Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    there's no spelling typos on my previous post...you should correct your own post (i.e. fragments) are you sure you're not a robot with a name tag in a white coat behind that counter!? Get a grip...and by the way, your post has nothing to do with my question, i asked "WHY pharmacists should NOT report substance abuse! smartass (yea right) :rolleyes:

7. pharmchc

pharmchc Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    my bad, wrong post

8. marx

marx Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    hi, Are there any reasons why a pharmacist would not report abuse on meds to other staff pharmacists or physican? I know the reasons for why a pharmacist should report it, but what may be the reasons why a pharmacist should not/or did not report it (aside from not giving a crap)?

9. pharmchc

pharmchc Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    sorry, I was initially responding to another post, i copied and pasted the wrong thing.. my bad :p

10. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Are you referring to a pharmacist reporting suspected abuse by another healthcare worker, or by a patient? It's hard to answer your question, as the two scenarios are quite different.

Also, please don't flame other users.

11. 28657

28657 Smile like you mean it
    10+ Year Member

Pain is a subjective measurement. When I worked in a pharmacy my coworkers were nazi's with the pain meds. They thought that everyone who came in for repeat narc scripts was abusing them.

A lot of patients really do have pain! Let them get some relief, and if they consequently get 'addicted'...whoop-de-doo. I'd only call the prescriber if a patient displays drug-seeking behavior. There are greater things to worry about at the pharmacy, than determining if Joe Blow really deserves his MS Contin today.

Now, if you're referring to suspected pill diversion, that's another story. I'd most likely call the prescriber if I suspected that behavior.