What race is middle eastern on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moogle44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm applying this cycle and I'm trying to figure out how to put my race into the app. I'm middle eastern, but there is nothing close to it on the app! I'm I...asian? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Middle East is part of Asia, so Middle Eastern is Asian.;)

my middle eastern friend put caucasian.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm applying this cycle and I'm trying to figure out how to put my race into the app. I'm middle eastern, but there is nothing close to it on the app! I'm I...asian? lol
Dont ask Uncle Ruckus...:)

my middle eastern friend put caucasian.

Yep, middle eastern people technically fall under the "caucasian" category. In fact, I think the original term for caucasian even included people from India.

I'm a descendant from the Middle East, and we are technically considered "Caucasian". However, in the AMCAS application, the closest to that is "White" and I am a bit hesitant in selecting that option, lol. So, I've opted to leave that section blank and just click "Not Hispanic/Spanish, etc" ah well.... o_O

During the race/ethnicity section.. if you fill it out, there are instructions. Follow what those instructions indicate.

Caucasian.

Regardless, you will not be considered URM, so you might as well leave it blank and let them guess.

I'm a descendant from the Middle East, and we are technically considered "Caucasian". However, in the AMCAS application, the closest to that is "White" and I am a bit hesitant in selecting that option, lol. So, I've opted to leave that section blank and just click "Not Hispanic/Spanish, etc" ah well.... o_O

Leaving it blank is a good choice.

**** 'em anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Middle Eastern, too. Asian or Caucasian, could technically be used. I went with Caucasian because I think Asian's average matriculant stats are HIGHER than Caucasian, so Asians are at an even bigger disadvantage....

I'm surprised b/w the outcomes of putting asian male and black female.

Asians are the only minority group that are disadvantaged compared to the average *sigh*. Acceptance and financial aid wise.

Made me sort of sad when I was filling out my school's financial aid form and they asked for race (so they can help match you to external scholarships you can apply for). They didn't have a category for asian (they had every other major ethnic group). =/

Anyway, yeah, if you're middle-eastern go Caucasian, Asian sucks.

Something to consider is that if you are from an African Middle Eastern country is that the African American description may be the most accurate. (ie Egypt, Morocco, Libya etc.)

Something to consider is that if you are from an African Middle Eastern country is that the African American description may be the most accurate. (ie Egypt, Morocco, Libya etc.)

I don't think this is true at all. African American connotes something entirely different...

I don't think this is true at all. African American connotes something entirely different...

+1 dont try to fool the adcoms. it'll hurt a lot more than it'll help...

+1 dont try to fool the adcoms. it'll hurt a lot more than it'll help...

I'm not sure why its fooling the adcoms? If you are from the continent of Africa, and of a darker skin color (which African Arabs usually are) then I hardly see how that is fooling adcoms... Would an Arabic speaking person from Sudan not be African American?

I'm with Keem on this one - I think it's perfectly valid to claim to be African American since you are, African American (if you're from Egypt/Sudan). I realize that the term normally carries a different connotation, but then I'd say that's the adcoms fault for making assumptions... and it'll come up during the interview anyway I imagine.

But yeah I don't think it matters for the OP - he/she said he/she is middle-eastern, which implies western Asia.

"Middle eastern" is an extremely broad term. Where are you from?

It's worth it to note that, in other english-speaking countries, "Asian" is used to describe Pakistani, Indian and some Arabic people just as much as it's used to describe Chinese, Thai or Korean people.

For all intents and purposes African American means Black.

No, AMCAS still says those from the Middle East and North Africa are labeled "Caucasian" for their purposes.

I am yet to look at the application but don't they have a section where it says "Other" and you can write down Middle eastern?

I'm not sure why its fooling the adcoms? If you are from the continent of Africa, and of a darker skin color (which African Arabs usually are) then I hardly see how that is fooling adcoms... Would an Arabic speaking person from Sudan not be African American?
Get real, Keem. When you say "African-American," people think "black." If you're middle eastern, just write down "Caucasian." Otherwise you risk them thinking you're a smart-ass and will turn you down.

Why wouldn't it be true? It is technically African American...

I'm with Keem on this one - I think it's perfectly valid to claim to be African American since you are, African American (if you're from Egypt/Sudan). I realize that the term normally carries a different connotation, but then I'd say that's the adcoms fault for making assumptions... and it'll come up during the interview anyway I imagine.

Using your logic, a person of white South African heritage could claim "African American." This would be "technically" accurate, right?

This issue has been debated ad nauseum on SDN and elsewhere. If you want to game the system, go ahead, but understand that there could be repercussions if you claim African American for the advantages of URM status and it is obvious that you are not.

Using your logic, a person of white South African heritage could claim "African American." This would be "technically" accurate, right?

This issue has been debated ad nauseum on SDN and elsewhere. If you want to game the system, go ahead, but understand that there could be repercussions if you claim African American for the advantages of URM status and it is obvious that you are not.

Same deal with white Mexicans and Latino status.

They should just ask you what the color of your skin is and how much money your family has since that's the information they want to know.

I agree with the poster below. The definition from wikipedia "African Americans (also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans, and formerly as American Negroes) are citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black populations of Africa

Those from Northern Africa generally do not fit into "black" populations of Africa. So, if you from Egypt, you are definitely NOT African-American and claiming to be will likely hurt your application more than help.

Now, you can be fair skinned and be African-American if you have roots in black Africa. I make this claim. I am citizen of Tanzania (my dad is Tanzanian (though mixed) and my mom is from Ethiopia (mixed)). I'm fair-skinned but have my roots in black Africa. Obama and Tiger Woods both make similar claims.

To the OP you are Caucasian or white for AMCAS purposes.

Exactly. This is the same reason why Spaniards aren't considered latino or hispanic on these applications. Despite skin color, Spaniards are still Caucasian, just like other Mediterranean people.

And thank you, speedwagon, who linked the African-American definition, as this description is distinctly different from someone who is African (someone from the many nationalities and cultures of the continent).

Even though it makes me REALLY angry that there is nothing near Middle Eastern to select, Caucasian is correct. I'm Persian, and I would like to be acknowledged for my race. Very unfair. They should have an "other" space to write your race in. Also, this is probably why there is such a high percentage of Asian, because some middle easterners click Asian due to the local of their country.

Even though it makes me REALLY angry that there is nothing near Middle Eastern to select, Caucasian is correct. I’m Persian, and I would like to be acknowledged for my race. Very unfair. They should have an "other" space to write your race in. Also, this is probably why there is such a high percentage of Asian, because some middle easterners click Asian due to the local of their country.

Why do you care? There is no prize here. No acknowledgement. This isn't the census. They don't care UNLESS you are a URM.

Med schools go through all of this pretense (or is it nonsense?) to identify URMs. That is all it is.

Why do you care? There is no prize here. No acknowledgement. This isn't the census. They don't care UNLESS you are a URM.

Med schools go through all of this pretense (or is it nonsense?) to identify URMs. That is all it is.

It's not only for med school apps... It's for everything. That's why I care.

Last edited:
Because all Persians think they're special.

Coz we are! :rolleyes: I mean, c'mon, our New Year is in March and involves grown-ups giving money to any kid who knows the secret code.

Unfortunately Persians are NOT special, although my experience is that they actually think they are. And to all you complaining about "oh my actual race isn't listed. boo hoo hoo" come the **** on. Like Flip said, it's all just to determine if you're URM and for statistical purposes. Just answer the goddamn question and quit stressing. It's not going to make any bit of difference UNLESS you're a URM. Also, it's not realistic to list EVERY ****ING RACE under the sun geez why do you premeds make things more complicated than they are?

Check "Other" and write in "human". That's what I'll be putting.

Because all Persians think they're special.

Coz we are! :rolleyes: I mean, c'mon, our New Year is in March and involves grown-ups giving money to any kid who knows the secret code.

Haha, so very very true! I love Persian new year! :) My husband is totally Caucasian and he gets excited all year just waiting for our new year to come around…

I was wondering the same thing last year...I think I just put down Caucasian, but you could put down Asian instead if you wanted. I just didn't want to get shoved into the "over-represented minority" category, if you will... :laugh:

I had an Afghan friend in HS and when it came to taking the AP or some standardized test he didn't know what he was so he asked the class to help him out. We couldn't figure out what he should bubble so we told him to bubble in Asian. But when it comes to race I definitely think they should leave a space for people to write it in, even though we know what they are trying to determine (urm/non urm) they should respect people enough to not box them into races due to "technicalities"

that being said i think you should go for Caucasian

asdf

Last edited:
I had an Afghan friend in HS and when it came to taking the AP or some standardized test he didn't know what he was so he asked the class to help him out. We couldn't figure out what he should bubble so we told him to bubble in Asian. But when it comes to race I definitely think they should leave a space for people to write it in, even though we know what they are trying to determine (urm/non urm) they should respect people enough to not box them into races due to "technicalities"

that being said i think you should go for Caucasian

They're not boxing anyone in. It's technically correct.
See:
The term Caucasian race (or Caucasoid, sometimes also Europid, or Europoid[1])(Not to confuse Northcaucasian race) denotes the race or phenotypes of some or all of the indigenous human populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia, and South Asia.[2][3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

They're asking for race, not ethnicity. For them to have a pull down for every ethnicity is a bit unnecessary and fragments the data they are trying to keep. There are obviously many many cultures and ethnicities within each of the few race classifications AMCAS lists, but that isn't the question.

The crux of the issue is people trying to find whatever classification will benefit them, when you can just easily answer the question honesty. Besides, AMCAS has a separate box where you can self declare underserved/underrepresented/disadvantaged despite race/ethnicity if you so are. If you don't feel comfortable answering the question, it is optional. I probably won't be answering it, since IMHO it shouldn't matter what your race/ethnicity is unless you are from an underrepresented community or disadvantaged... which AMCAS clearly lets you declare.

I'm half arabic, I just put white. I look like im 100% white anyway, if I put anything else they'd be like wtf?