What REALLY is a BAD dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruity_trident

in lala land
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some ppl think some dental schools are bad...WHY? Bad curriculum? Bad profs? Bad equipment?

I mean, if you're a dentist, you're a dentist. I don't see how I would go into a dental office and be like "ohh, hmm don't want to be treated by that dentist s/he went to University of XYZ."

When responding, PLEASE DON'T NAME SCHOOLS. I do NOT want to be held responsible for school rivalries! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the problem is that there are "bad" dental schools, but the general consensus seems to be that there are very expensive schools that are just not worth the price tag. you are right, no patient cares where you went to dental school. in the end, we all do the same thing. some schools do have more of a clinical inclination (tufts, uop) or a research one (upenn, harvard). its up to you what you want to do. but definitely do not think that , "oh, if i go to dental school Z, no patient will want to see me." In the end, we all learn the same basic thing no matter where we go: how to practice dentistry.

by the way: GO SOX!

MrBenny: well said, I understand wherever I (hopefully) go, I will become a dentists...and won't be any more or less of one because I went to school X. It just bugs me when ppl tell me "oh why would you go THERE"... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
toothcaries said:
michigan sucks.

Hey toothcaries,
My fellow OSU student.....do you think we have a snowball's chance in hell Nov. 20th? :(

This time Michigan will win. I also saw T-shir yeasterday that said
"Buck the ****eyes" and I was so surprised but may be that will happen this year.

Go Blue!!!

I think we have a chance, Coach Carr is only going to dress 25 or so players for the game this year.

The rest will be expected to dress themselves :) GO BUCKS!

I work at a dental office in Philadelphia and the entire staff tells me that they would never trust a general dentist from UPenn.....apparently that is the consensus from a lot of Philadelphia area dentists.....they say its due to their lack of clinical exposure during dental school...

However UPenn does have stellar board scores and specialization rates.....

toothcaries said:
of course.
the defense IS still pretty good. (not great)
we are (like a lot of teams) a lot of teams an offense away from being a dangerous team this year.
we'll see if they continue to make progress against the state penn.

btw,
i'll be at the meechigan game.
and i've never seen the buckeyes lose to michigan.
:luck:
The year of our perfect season, I snuck into the game. My friend and I went to the stadium near the end of the game and the gates were open. We walked right in and stood by the bars and watched the game. When we won, we jumped on the field (like everyone else)! It was so fun until te police started with the pepper spray!
This year, I don't know though. The D is pretty good, as usual. I prefer the Smith-Pittman combination, it seems to be more effective. I hope we win, because I have a bet and will have to wear Michigan gear if we lose. That's like kryptonite! Tooth caries I hope you are good luck. BTW, what year are you in dental school?

Illinois is bad, like real bad at football this year.....don't let that dictate your decision.

I think some people may not favor a dental school because of it's location or because it may have a special type of program that they are not excited about. That's all I can think of...

I think some schools don't have a very high pass rate on their board exams, while others (with perhaps less of a reputation have much higher pass rates). Nebraska was in the top 10% for scores/pass rates on Board I and II last year.

I think if you spend money at a school, they should at least teach you enough to do well on your boards. If not, that would be a bad school.

msf41 said:
I think some schools don't have a very high pass rate on their board exams, while others (with perhaps less of a reputation have much higher pass rates). Nebraska was in the top 10% for scores/pass rates on Board I and II last year.

I think if you spend money at a school, they should at least teach you enough to do well on your boards. If not, that would be a bad school.

That is not completely true. A school can be really good but the student is not smart enough. I am not trying to insult people but there are some people who are not intelligent enough with sciences and their manxual detexrity (spll?). You can't fully blame a school if their students did poorly. IF ALL their students did poorly, then yes, that school is bad. BUt if some (4-6) people didn't do to well, then there are other factors contributed to it. It doesn't take many bad scores to bring the average of the board exams of a school down. Don't you agree?

Dr.BadVibes said:
I work at a dental office in Philadelphia and the entire staff tells me that they would never trust a general dentist from UPenn.....apparently that is the consensus from a lot of Philadelphia area dentists.....they say its due to their lack of clinical exposure during dental school...

However UPenn does have stellar board scores and specialization rates.....

You want to hear something funny...I think the same because some the the people I heard that were top in the class when they go to a GPR don't even know the proper dose of penecilin to give to a patient

I was talking with a GPR director in NYC and he said he just had this UPenn grad giving a child dose of anti-biotic to an adult and some other minor issues...I guess thats what GPR's are for. To learn. Opps...just bashed my school
:eek: