What research projects have you worked on/been involved in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Basic science research...Started sophomore year on my own project.

I work in the one of the three or four neuroscience labs at the medical school at my university. This is my first quarter but I'll be in there at least until next December. I'm learning about immunohistochemistry. My project is staining,counting, and using a microscope to take pictures of damaged mouse spinal cords injected with a tagged antibody in a attempt to highlight certain proteins and enzymes that inhibit axonal regeneration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in the one of the three or four neuroscience labs at the medical school at my university. This is my first quarter but I'll be in there at least until next December. I'm learning about immunohistochemistry and the my project is staining,counting, and using a microscope to take pictures of damaged mouse spinal cords injected with a tagged antibody in a attempt to highlight certain proteins and enzymes that inhibit axonal regeneration.
NOGO!!!

I'm working in a nephrology lab that I've been in for over a year now (currently a junior).

I've worked on (both joint projects with non-post doc PhDs):

-Characterizing the A2A receptor in the kidney
-Anti-inflammatory processes linked to the IL-17 family of cytokines

Starting this summer I'll be starting my capstone project in which I'll be initially modeling GFR in the kidney, and using that information to help in some undetermined project.

endogenous mechanisms controlling adult neural stem cells

I am working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. I am currently involved in research with oxidative stress. I am measuring isoprostane levels from plasma samples of individuals who have been on a diet of "anti-oxidizing" juices. I started this year(soph).

I've been doing undergraduate rat research now for two years (junior and senior years). I've been on a team with three other fellow students, and we have worked with Trypanosoma lewisi, and protozoan blood parasite that is a relative of the parasites that cause African sleeping sickness. Our goal has been to try and find a cheap, non-toxic, readily available treatment, and thus far we have tried arabinogalactin, ellagic acid, and dihydroartemisinin.

My senior year I also was involved in a sports medicine research study in which we were studying the effects of retro walking on cardiovascular fitness.

Have my own project at the medical school (Cardiology). Biomedical research, looking at a particular Kinase in the heart that has cardioprotective effects and it's control (by phosphatases, lipids, other kinases, etc).

I started it in september and worked 20 hrs/week on top of my work. Lazy mo-fo'ing Cardiology fellow who was supposed to help me never did anything for me. If you wan't a publication, I suggest joining a project...there is only so much one undergrad can do in one year +pity+.

I started working in my schools Dept. of Cell Biology as a junior. Worked on my own project studying neural mechanisms that process risk and reward to coordinate behaviroal responses. I continued working in the lab for a year after I graduated and got a 1st author pub. out of it. Probably the best educational experience I had as an undergrad.

As a junior: Worked on a continuing project run by a professor looking a cortisol and creatine levels in Gorilla gorilla urine.

As a graduate: Research assistant on a project analyzing THC (tetrahydracannabinol) in human subjects.

Research isn't exactly my cup of tea, but it pays the bills...