Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What research would you be interested in pursuing as a med student?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jessica37, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jessica37

Jessica37 Member
    7+ Year Member

So, Vandy's third essay on their supplementary is:
    What research or scholarly activity would you be interested in pursuing as a medical student?

Exactly how far in depth do they want us to go? I said I wanted to study cell division as it pertains to cancer research, but I don't know specifically what I want to look at. I don't even know what resources will be available yet! I just wanted to see what you guys would recommend saying. Thanks for your help and good luck with those secondaries!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jessica37

Jessica37 Member
    7+ Year Member

Bump

Somebody has to have some kind of suggestion.....Please help!

4. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know how long their essay has to be. I would just write why cancer research is interesting to you (anyone you know with cancer?), why you'd like to study cancer (help find new treatments? Like research?), what experience you have in the research and how it pertains to your continuing work, things like that... I'm sure you don't have to be real specific about it, but it would help if you knew about anything exciting going on in the field and you could say "x is going on and that's pretty cool, that's an example of something I'd like to work on".

If you can't think of anything PM me and I'm sure I can help you out.

5. trout

trout Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would try to tie in what experience you have, how this might help you go for X new project and how you think this research during medical school will help you in your career. If you want to spend the time I would recommend looking up a couple of people's research to demonstrate that you are sincerely interested and that you can find a PI/project that sounds interesting. If you don't do this it is probably not a killer! And lastly, be sincere (and be positive and decisive) although the reality is you will never be held to this! Don't waiver and say possible interested in this or this you can leave room but make it sound like you have confidence in what you want to do!

6. jot

jot

also a reminder that scholarly activity isn't limited to biomedical research - there are plenty of other avenues for medically related research in history, sociology, public health, epi, behavior etc... just anything you are interested in pursuing in an in depth manner (not to say that cancer research isn't a great way to spend your time).
    -jot

7. Jessica37

Jessica37 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for all of the input! :clap:
    I've decided to stick with cancer research since it's an issue that has affected a lot of people I know very well. I did a bit of skimming around on the internet about different research topics, which helped me narrow down my topic. I've decided to focus on treatment options using DNA techniques. Do you think it's bad to admit I don't have much experience on this particular topic? I explained that I learned a lot on this topic in various classes (genetics, cell bio, etc), and I will be starting more relevant research next month that'll give me more of a background since I'll be researching cell division. I'm just being honest, and I figure they can ask me more about my lab work in the interview (well, if I get one of course). Thanks again! I just love SDN :love:

8. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Never downplay yourself. You can mention that you will be gaining experience in a new laboratory in that field until your anticipated medical school admission, but I wouldn't just come out and say "I don't have much experience in ...". I would just omit that part and talk about how I will be gaining experience in it.

Sounds like you're on the right track!