tideleonheart

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OMS-1s: What residency are you leaning toward right now? (This is your REALISTIC choice - if you put Derm, you'd better be top 5 in you class and already studying for boards)

OMS-2s: How has your answer to the previous question changed in a year?

BCLumas

10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2007
LECOM-Bradenton
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am an OMS-I. Here's my thoughts, at the moment:

1. Vascular Surgery
  2. Cardiothoracic Surgery
  3. Cardiology
  4. Orthopaedic Surgery
  5. General Surgery
  6. Interventional and Vascular Radiology
  7. Neurology
  8. Nephrology
  9. Neurosurgery
  10. Pediatrics
I think those are in order of my top 10. Who even knows, though.

NeuroTox

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
I'm OMSIII and haven't changed my mind since starting med school. I'm still debating between ER/FP/PM&R. I hope I figure it out soon :confused:

About the Ads

bkpa2med

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
OMSII -- IM/Neuro/PM&R ... something along these lines. It hasn't really changed just added PM&R.

307Doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2006
In the mountains
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
OMSII -- IM/Neuro/PM&R ... something along these lines. It hasn't really changed just added PM&R.

OMS1, and I've only been in school for 3-4 months now and am deciding between Ob/gyn and FP. Primary care all the way for me.

fireflygirl

The Ultimate Blindian
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm an MS-1 and I've been thinking of the following:

1. Some specialty in Peds
2. I-MED and specialize in Infectious Diseases
3. EM
4. Psychiatry
5. Addiction Medicine

Not sure where I am going to end up though I am doing some shadowing with a doctor that works in a drug addiction facility and hoping to find something in ID this summer.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
1. Gen. Surgery
2. Gen. Surgery
3. Gen. Surgery, Colorectal Fellowship or Endocrine
4. Ophthalomolgy (perhaps when i have ousted every option to match in gen surgery)
5. Urology (Hopefully i don't get this far down, hehe)

Buckeye4life

DO, MPT, MEd
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ortho or bust . . . with possible spine, peds, or sports med fellowship.
Hasn't changed since day 1. Wavered slightly, but always go back.

DC DOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2007
Believeland
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OMS 1 so who knows, but for now:

1. Peds followed by Hem/Onc fellowship
2. Anesthesia
3. EM
4. IM or subspecialty. if all else fails

Redrox

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status (Visible)
MSII Emergency, Radiology.

I've shadowed both extensively but rotations are what really will decide it. Hard to get a good picture of anything when we are chained to basic science and classrooms.

Pegasus1731

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OSM I

1. EM
2. EM
3. EM
4. oncology has always seemed cool
5. ?

About the Ads

inthe415

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I went into school thinking I was going to be a family practice doctor in an urban clinic, working with the underserved. As a family physician you get to see everything. I am a big proponent of preventive medicine as a way to bring down health care costs and improve overall health. I would get bored sewing up coronary arteries all day.

Lately I have been discouraged...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/11/17/primary.care.doctors.study/

"Nearly half the respondents in a survey of U.S. primary care physicians said that they would seriously consider getting out of the medical business within the next three years if they had an alternative...

A U.S. shortage of 35,000 to 40,000 primary care physicians by 2025 was predicted at last week's American Medical Association annual meeting.

Of the 12,000 respondents, 49 percent said they'd consider leaving medicine. Many said they are overwhelmed with their practices, not because they have too many patients, but because there's too much red tape generated from insurance companies and government agencies."

rddoms

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OMS I, has been this for years:

1. General Surgery, followed by a Plastics fellowship.
2. Cut/Paste above.
3. Cut/Paste above.

We'll see. An encouraging thing is that nearly nobody wants to do 7 years OGME after medical school. :luck:

Vergie

shun the nonbeliever
10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
1. Anesthesia ( I was an Anesthesia Tech for 2 years)
2. General surgery ( I like working in the OR)
3. Maybe Rads
4. IM (gastrointerology maybe)
5. Family practice

My list may change dramaticlly depending on board scores x_x

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
OMS I, has been this for years:

1. General Surgery, followed by a Plastics fellowship.
2. Cut/Paste above.
3. Cut/Paste above.

We'll see. An encouraging thing is that nearly nobody wants to do 7 years OGME after medical school. :luck:

Are the AOA PRS fellowships staying 2 years ?? Because all the ACGME are switching to 3?? The funny thing about PRS is that everyone says ' MD is much easier etc' which I'm sure it is simply based on no AOA integrated programs, but one time someone on the forums laid out the number of Gen Surg grads per year based on the number of OPEN PRS spots per year and the odds didn't seem so terrible - especially assuming that of course not every gen surg grad wants PRS. Good luck!!

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Are the AOA PRS fellowships staying 2 years ?? Because all the ACGME are switching to 3?? The funny thing about PRS is that everyone says ' MD is much easier etc' which I'm sure it is simply based on no AOA integrated programs, but one time someone on the forums laid out the number of Gen Surg grads per year based on the number of OPEN PRS spots per year and the odds didn't seem so terrible - especially assuming that of course not every gen surg grad wants PRS. Good luck!!

Yea, but similar to other competitive residencies/fellowships, many of the less competitive people just don't give it a shot.

rddoms

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Another thing to look at is where the plastics fellows come from. PCOM (for example) sends at least one, but usually two, of their GS grads to their own plastics fellowship. That is the big thing, doing AOA GS at a place with an AOA plastics fellowship helps to improve the odds.

They are staying 2 years for now. I haven't heard about the AOA/ACOS trying to change it to 3 years. I guess we'll see, but if you MUST complete the 5 years of GS before doing the AOA plastics fellowship you already are in for 7 years GME. I could see them changing it to 3 years if they allowed only 3 years of GS training.

About the Ads
A

alEXatosu

1. ophthalmology
2. Wilderness Medicine (actually more of a fantasy where I can travel all around the world kind of thing)
3. Peds

DOinMS

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
In the mountains
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
1. general surgery + vascular surgery
2. general surgery + critical care
3. integrated vascular (okay, now I'm being ridiculous)

It looks as though if I keep wanting to do vascular, I will almost certainly have to go allopathic. The DO vascular programs (opportunities.osteopathic.org) don't seem to be very active.

cleoscat3

Fell Asleep In My Cereal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
pre-OSI but what the heck I'm only 5 months away

IM/Med Genetics
Ped/Med Genetics
IM/Peds then Med Genetics

100% sure i'd have to go allopathic for at least the med genetics part if I don't get into a combined program which would be ideal. Hopefully the field grows a bit in the next 3.5 years. :laugh:

slick27

controversial
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Pre-oms1. I don't know why everybody wants to do surgery. I'm never going to consider surgery, I don't care how much I might like it. 100 hour work weeks, just not for me.

rddoms

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I worked in an OR for 2 years and did researched in a lab with a 2 hour surgical set up of the animal. I loved it, so surgery seems to fit. It's not for everyone, though.

bigDinLV

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Vegas baby!
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was a paramedic for a while before med school, I thought ER would be a sure thing. I spent some time in the ER and got tired of the people with stupid complaints coming to the EMERGENCY room. Being a paramedic I already knew this but I guess I thought it would be different. I actually took someone to the ER by ambulance once for a stubbed toe.

I couldn't decide between anesthesia and neurosurgery. I applied and interviewed to both. I couldn't decide and couldn't decide some more. I made my rank list and ended up matching anesthesia. I'm very thankful for this, I want to have a life!!!

Green912

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was a paramedic for a while before med school, I thought ER would be a sure thing. I spent some time in the ER and got tired of the people with stupid complaints coming to the EMERGENCY room. Being a paramedic I already knew this but I guess I thought it would be different. I actually took someone to the ER by ambulance once for a stubbed toe.

I couldn't decide between anesthesia and neurosurgery. I applied and interviewed to both. I couldn't decide and couldn't decide some more. I made my rank list and ended up matching anesthesia. I'm very thankful for this, I want to have a life!!!

Sounds identical to my story. Former paramedic set on Emergency Medicine until I spent 2+ months in the ED. However my dilemma was between Anesthesia & Psych. Applied to the former and haven't looked back. Although I wasn't looking to replace being a medic, I find Anesthesia to have a familiar feel.

bigDinLV

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Vegas baby!
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Sounds identical to my story. Former paramedic set on Emergency Medicine until I spent 2+ months in the ED. However my dilemma was between Anesthesia & Psych. Applied to the former and haven't looked back. Although I wasn't looking to replace being a medic, I find Anesthesia to have a familiar feel.

yea, 2 of the attendings at my program were former paramedics.

I think it is the airway management, technical aspect and critical care all rolled into one that makes it a good transition.

About the Ads

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
OMS-I here...

I'm thinking along the lines of IM/hospitalist medicine

jason3278

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
pre MS-I

In no particular order:

Emergency Med
General Surgery
Internal Medicine
Forensic Pathology (not sure how easy it is for a DO to get into)
Psychiatry

Obviously these are all very different specialties, and I am clearly undecided. I've just looked into and have had some exposure to these and I liked them.

Tuckermans

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
MS-0 as well

1. Anesthesia
2. Emergency Medicine
3. Internal Medicine
4. Anything thats not pediatrics (screaming children and I don't really do well)

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Any gig with more instant gratification. I don't really care about continuity of care too much. So that marks out a lot of stuff. Never understood the appeal of huge differentials and gradually marking stuff out. I like to see a problem and fix the problem.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Any gig with more instant gratification. I don't really care about continuity of care too much. So that marks out a lot of stuff. Never understood the appeal of huge differentials and gradually marking stuff out. I like to see a problem and fix the problem.

Ortho.

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
1. Radiology
2. Pediatrics
3. Neurology

I'm guessing my list is probably a little more concrete than others, since I already submitted my rank list. ;)

nevinleiby

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2008
PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Pulmonary/Critical Care =)

For the past 5 minutes,
_*_ Surgery
EM
Pulmonary/CC
NOT Psych....I would want to do myself in faster than my patients...

waitwhat

Bagel Technician
10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Although I'll probably have a better idea when I get in med school, here's my top 3. Ortho has been my first for a while.

Ortho (Sports)
Anesthesiology
PM & R

FutureSurg

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status (Visible)
I wasn't crazy about surgery til I did my surgery rotation. I absolutely LOVED it. I'm going to do my first few electives next year in surgery to make sure since everybody keeps on telling me avoid it :oops:

funshi baba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
in the middle of nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OMS3
started with OBGYN pre-med, but now SURGERY baby!

I tried keeping an open mind, that got me more confused than marilyn mason.

good luck to all.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.