What resources should be prioritized for an M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fried Plantaris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resources I have:
Goljan
B&B lectures
Zanki/Zanki pharm/lolnotacop micro
Pathoma
Sketchy Micro/Pharm
First Aid

Resources I will get in the future:
UWorld
A second Qbank (B&B or USMLE Rx)

~15 months out from Step 1. I'm able to spend 1 hour each day on reviewing old material while I wait for the days' lectures to post. [Note: I'll have twice as much time during the summer months.] On my walk to and from school, I listen to Goljan lectures on repeat. About my "review hour" I hit a point today where I don't know if I'm getting more out of doing 300 zanki reviews vs. spending that time on watching videos, specifically B&B lectures or Pathoma.

What I know is that ultimately all of the review each morning won't directly help me on step, but having multiple exposures to it will indirectly make it easier for me to cover more info and retain more knowledge during dedicated. What is the best combination to use?

Members don't see this ad.

Also an M1, but just sharing what has worked for me. My personal opinion is if you're going to do the Zanki method, then buy into it. Read costanzo, do the cards, watch pathoma, do the cards, sketchy --> cards. Then do all of your reviews every day. Lecture material to supplement for the minute testable details.

Practice questions > second passes of the same material that you're already learning/reviewing from Zanki (unless you don't understand it). When I started actually doing Zanki the right way my NBME, practice question, and professor written test/quiz scores went up. The lowest they were was when I was trying to do half and half.

Yeah to each, their own. I'm trying out something similar this block, but I'm learning real quickly that the zanki reviews add up and I'm only able to reasonably do 1200 cards a day (trying to maintain school lectures and stuff). And I'm finding out that there are so many new cards it will probably take until the last day of class this block to get through all.

I feel like B&B is legit but I wish I had more time to soak it in on repeat than just 1 or 2 playthrus. That's not even counting for pathoma which I also know should be watched 2 or 3 times total before Step. I will say that what your advice about zanki appears to be backed by research, so yeah it's probably worth staying up with.

Yeah to each, their own. I'm trying out something similar this block, but I'm learning real quickly that the zanki reviews add up and I'm only able to reasonably do 1200 cards a day (trying to maintain school lectures and stuff). And I'm finding out that there are so many new cards it will probably take until the last day of class this block to get through all.

I feel like B&B is legit but I wish I had more time to soak it in on repeat than just 1 or 2 playthrus. That's not even counting for pathoma which I also know should be watched 2 or 3 times total before Step. I will say that what your advice about zanki appears to be backed by research, so yeah it's probably worth staying up with.

If you keep up with old cards and add new cards gradually (50 - 100/day), you shouldn't ever be doing 1200 reviews. I matured Zanki by dedicated, starting december of M1, and I almost never had a day where I did more than 700 cards (new and reviews). It's all about consistency though.