What sacrifices are you willing to make to become a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmtoCS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sacrifices are you willing to become a pharmacist? I'm not just talking about getting into pharmacy school, I am talking about landing a job in this saturated market.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm willing to move anywhere. My hope is to stay in Texas but I guess I'll see.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the answer you're looking for is: "What is totally changing career aspirations and becoming a computer programmer."

I can understand you replying to people's posts to be a pessimistic downer. Making your own posts is a little much.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the answer you're looking for is: "What is totally changing career aspirations and becoming a computer programmer."

I can understand you replying to people's posts to be a pessimistic downer. Making your own posts is a little much.

This is a serious question for pre-pharms. What sacrifices are you willing to make to become a pharmacist?

People have to make sacrifices for any career in health. It's time-consuming and you will incur debt after.
But honestly, it would be way more of a sacrifice for me to pursue something like computer programming, finance, or engineering or other careers like nursing or physical therapy. I'd rather continue learning and doing what I already enjoy.

People have to make sacrifices for any career in health. It's time-consuming and you will incur debt after.
But honestly, it would be way more of a sacrifice for me to pursue something like computer programming, finance, or engineering or other careers like nursing or physical therapy. I'd rather continue learning and doing what I already enjoy.
Being willing to move anywhere is a huge sacrifice. People in some professions, i.e. art or teaching, make huge sacrifices to pursue their passions including working minimum wage jobs to supplant their incomes. Here you see pre-pharms that claim to be passionate about pharmacy yet have never stepped foot in a pharmacy, won't relocate out of Socal or NYC, and don't want to work in *gasp* retail which makes up the bread and butter of this profession.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Being willing to move anywhere is a huge sacrifice. People in some professions, i.e. art or teaching, make huge sacrifices to pursue their passions including working minimum wage jobs to supplant their incomes. Here you see pre-pharms that claim to be passionate about pharmacy yet have never stepped foot in a pharmacy, won't relocate out of Socal or NYC, and don't want to work in *gasp* retail which makes up the bread and butter of this profession.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile
Oh I completely agree with you about the students wanting to do pharmacy without ever having worked in one. I think once someone works in retail or hospital, they'll either love it or hate it. Students getting interviews at schools without any experiences (which really should not be happening in the first place) are just spewing lies about why they want to get into pharmacy.

So far, I like what I've experienced. I hope to do hospital pharmacy just because I want to use all the info I get in pharm school and apply it, so if I have to relocate to get a position in a hospital, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if I don't get that kind of opportunity, I like retail.

I have an honest question for you OP: do you think that the pharmacy job market could ever improve with time? I am no expert, but doesn't every profession go through a "tough" period, where jobs are minimal and difficult to find? Law was once worse than pharmacy, but after speaking to a lawyer the other day, he said that the field is slowly improving, and that jobs are available. I think that when any profession hits a low point such as this, then the number of applicants to schools begins to decline, which naturally translates to less graduating pharmacists and less competition. I definitely understand the pharmacy profession may not improve for many, many years though, unfortunately. I am not defending the field at all; just trying to see where you stand

I have an honest question for you OP: do you think that the pharmacy job market could ever improve with time? I am no expert, but doesn't every profession go through a "tough" period, where jobs are minimal and difficult to find? Law was once worse than pharmacy, but after speaking to a lawyer the other day, he said that the field is slowly improving, and that jobs are available. I think that when any profession hits a low point such as this, then the number of applicants to schools begins to decline, which naturally translates to less graduating pharmacists and less competition. I definitely understand the pharmacy profession may not improve for many, many years though, unfortunately. I am not defending the field at all; just trying to see where you stand

The correction is easily going to take 15-20 years minimum. Too many seats have been opened, whether through expanding class size or opening new schools. Many of the new schools haven’t even graduated their initial cohorts yet.

I think that the pharmacist job market will improve eventually. The question is when. It can be starting in 5 years, or it can be another 15-20.

The hope is that schools will start to reduce their class sizes as they realize a good chunk of the students cannot handle the material or that more students decide not to go to pharmacy school after realizing that taking out $200k+ in loans to go into this profession is a bad idea. As said with investing though, the market can stay irrational for far longer than you can stay solvent. You can go to pharmacy school hoping that the market will be better by the time you graduate but there is a very good chance it will be far worse if students continue to decide to go to pharmacy school. Take SoCal for example, which has been one of the most saturated markets in the country. Yet 4 more schools just opened in the region which will lead to the doubling of yearly graduates in the region almost overnight. They still get enough applicants to fill their classes, although barely. If you graduate in a down market then you a much higher risk of being underemployed or unemployed which can lead to stunted career advancement and a higher loan burden long term as your balance balloons every year.

Reactions: 3 users
This kind of thread should be sticky so that pre-pharmacy students can read and analyze this critical situation of the pharmacy profession. I applaud stoichiometrist for his courage to voice the cold harsh reality of job market saturation in pharmacy. A lot of people are in denial, especially pre-pharmacy students. People keep saying there is always a job for pharmacist if you are willing to move. Yes, that could be only 50% true. What if it's super saturated to the point there are more supply of people who also willing to move to ge the same job?

I graduated in 2006. Bonus sign on was common in Walgreens, CVS. Most of my friends who signed for Walgreens had 45K bonus for Walgreen for 3 year commitment. They were able to find jobs in Orange County. I had multiple offers from Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS. But I chose hospital. Hospital wasn't much hard either. Fast forward to now, 11 years later, no more sign on bonuses, there is no jobs in Orange County. Other places like San Bernadino, Victorville now even get saturated too. Even if there is, you must be knowing someone inside to put you on board, including retails. How sad....Market is insanely saturated.

Let's have a thought experiment.
How low do you think graduates will have to go to get a job in 2021/22?

I want to know just how bad people think things will get, especially if we go into another recession...

Let's have a thought experiment.
How low do you think graduates will have to go to get a job in 2021/22?

I want to know just how bad people think things will get, especially if we go into another recession...
Don't know how low but my friend opened a pharmacy store and he was able to get some new grad pharmacist at 32/hr cash because he couldn't find employment for 8 months (equivalent to 50/hr with check???)

Don't know how low but my friend opened a pharmacy store and he was able to get some new grad pharmacist at 32/hr cash because he couldn't find employment for 8 months (equivalent to 50/hr with check???)

Any benefits?

Sent from my SM-N910V using
It's hard for me not to agree with this statement. Well said.