What Sacrifices come with becoming a Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngmo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sacrifices does a person have to make in becoming a doc? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A quick search will yield surprisingly easy results.

Reactions: 1 users
one of the sacrifices you have to make is learning how to use the search function rather than asking the nearest adult. It's hard at first but gets easier the more you do it. I believe in you.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to give up part of your soul for med school and training in residency sorry to break it to you

Reactions: 1 user
1) Free time. You will have none. (Starts as a pre-med, I hear attendings experience "free time" to an extent)

2) You know your hobbies? Most of them get to disappear for a decade.

3) Family time... much reduced.

4) From what I understand your view point starts to change, apparently the "What is seen cannot be unseen" applies to medicine. There are some things that once I experienced, I can never miss again. I haven't even started training and that is happening.

5) Soul crushing debt.

As far as professions go, physicians experience the highest suicide rate (for women who are physicians, this is even higher). Just something to keep in mind when wondering what sacrifices you have to make when becoming a doctor.

If you're not an heiress, you must make sacrifices to become successful. Especially if your chosen path is pretty low risk.

You would have to DVR a lot of shows. :arghh:

All this "you can't have a life" talk is ridiculous. Yes, there are periods during your training when you will be stuck studying or working instead of doing something fun. But guess what? If you want to earn good money and have a positive impact on people in ANY field, you will ALWAYS have to make sacrifices. There is absolutely no way to have a career as fulfilling as being a physician without making sacrifices. It just does not happen.

For some, this field comes easier and that allows for more free time. I've experienced this first hand by working with multiple physicians in an ER. There are different practice styles, preferences, and personality differences that create a whole spectrum of physicians. I can see this directly to applying to medical students. Time management skills, attention to detail, communication skills, etc., are all things that are very variable. Those that struggle with prioritizing or procrastinating are probably going to be the ones that have to make more sacrifices. Those that were not as academically inclined during undergraduate are likely going to have to study more. I think it's safe to say everyone in medical training will give up something they would rather not, but the amount of sacrifice per person is indefinable.

You would have to DVR a lot of shows. :arghh:

People still watch TV live these days? :eek:

Reactions: 3 users
All this "you can't have a life" talk is ridiculous. Yes, there are periods during your training when you will be stuck studying or working instead of doing something fun. But guess what? If you want to earn good money and have a positive impact on people in ANY field, you will ALWAYS have to make sacrifices. There is absolutely no way to have a career as fulfilling as being a physician without making sacrifices. It just does not happen.

For some, this field comes easier and that allows for more free time. I've experienced this first hand by working with multiple physicians in an ER. There are different practice styles, preferences, and personality differences that create a whole spectrum of physicians. I can see this directly to applying to medical students. Time management skills, attention to detail, communication skills, etc., are all things that are very variable. Those that struggle with prioritizing or procrastinating are probably going to be the ones that have to make more sacrifices. Those that were not as academically inclined during undergraduate are likely going to have to study more. I think it's safe to say everyone in medical training will give up something they would rather not, but the amount of sacrifice per person is indefinable.

People still watch TV live these days? :eek:
I hardly watch TV, I only watch TV while I'm waiting for a call in the station.