What Salary Range Were/Are You in Prior to Starting Professional School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Salary Range Were/Are You in Prior to Starting Professional School?

• $0-$25,000

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • $25,001-$50,000

Votes: 51 27.0%
  • $50,001-$75,000

Votes: 43 22.8%
  • $75,001-$100,000

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • $100,001-$150,000

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • $150,001-$200,000

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • $200,001-$250,000

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 250,001-$500,000

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • > $500,000

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry this month's poll is late, but it goes well w/ one of our current discussions. For me, I earned around $30,000 - $35,000 in the years before I went to med school. Like I said in another thread, earning a resident's salary was like, cha-ching! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Well, for me, I didn't have a great job prior to starting medical school. I worked as what's called a paraoptometrist (basically this is the person that does all the pre-testing for vision exams, I also did front and back office duties), for a very small office. So, I didn't make much. Then I got divorced and decided I wasn't making enough to support me and my boys - so I decided to go to undergrad. And, if I was going to go to college, I might as well do it right and do what I had always really wanted to do - now, I'm a 3rd year medical student.

So, when I get to be a resident, that income will be higher than my prior income :)

Hmm....when I was full time I made more than our residents, but less than the RNs.

Now I'm a little below fulltime and getting killed with tuition and commuter gas costs, so I'm starting to look at myself as a poor college student again...:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Beaucoup dollars in IT, then down to barely above minimum wage as a lab tech. 7years later I'm in the same range as QofQuimica.

I calculated it'll take me 13years to get my net worth back to where I am now once I sign that dotted line.

In the twelve years since high school, I've only made over $10,000 in a year once. I have a bad habit of working for free on big rusty ships for months at a time. A resident's salary will be at least five times my average, and I have no idea how I'll spend that much money. On the other hand, if I can ever manage to sell my house I'll have made roughly $60,000 from six month's work and six month's sitting around trying to sell the stupid thing.

20-25K each year the past few yrs. Less than that in and right after high school.

I just turned down an offer in Alaska for really good money to start my post-bacc program (DIY) here in Pittsburgh. Most people in my field make ~$45k-$65k a year depending on state/setting. It's not about the money for me at all.

I'm established in my field, and becoming a doctor will probably be zero net gain if I retire at 65. I'm 30 now if it tells you anything.

I'm established in my field, and becoming a doctor will probably be zero net gain if I retire at 65. I'm 30 now if it tells you anything.
If you love what you're doing (will be doing) who says you have to retire at 65? :shrug:

I clicked on Other so I guess I'm obligated to explain below.

I am confused by the term "salary". Are we talking base salary? Including ordinary and expected bonuses (i.e. W2 income)? Full AGI including other income like business / rent / royalty? Do you mean numbers from my last real career, or my last job I reported to the IRS which was at the university tutoring center minimum wage?

I could justify clicking every single button on the poll, so I really don't know how to answer it.

Residency would be a pay cut for me with about 20x the amount of debt I currently hold. It does scare me on some days...

Are you talking about just my salary or the salary for the whole family? My husband has a good job but in a couple of years he may go part-time or quit altogether so he can be with the kids.

I clicked on Other so I guess I'm obligated to explain below.

I am confused by the term "salary". Are we talking base salary? Including ordinary and expected bonuses (i.e. W2 income)? Full AGI including other income like business / rent / royalty? Do you mean numbers from my last real career, or my last job I reported to the IRS which was at the university tutoring center minimum wage?

I could justify clicking every single button on the poll, so I really don't know how to answer it.
You're way overthinking this. I'm not the IRS, so pick whatever you think is most appropriate. Or, if you want me to decide for you, let's say mean AGI for the past three years.

Are you talking about just my salary or the salary for the whole family? My husband has a good job but in a couple of years he may go part-time or quit altogether so he can be with the kids.
I'd probably go with whole family unless your husband uses his money for his own purposes and you all live on just your salary.

Edit: for the record, whoever picked >$500,000 and is planning to throw that away for a career in medicine....ooh, I really think you should reconsider. Unless you're planning to just retire in a few years and go to med school for the fun of it. In which case, I still really think you should reconsider. :hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
You're way overthinking this. I'm not the IRS, so pick whatever you think is most appropriate. Or, if you want me to decide for you, let's say mean AGI for the past three years.

I'd probably go with whole family unless your husband uses his money for his own purposes and you all live on just your salary.

Edit: for the record, whoever picked >$500,000 and is planning to throw that away for a career in medicine....ooh, I really think you should reconsider. Unless you're planning to just retire in a few years and go to med school for the fun of it. In which case, I still really think you should reconsider. :hungover:

Haha seriously I was wondering about that person who selected >500K. Whoever you are, I REALLY hope that you just saved up a couple years so you could pay for med school in cash and have zero debt.

Perhaps the 500k person already threw away the career for other reasons unrelated to medicine. And maybe they really do want to practice medicine even if the new salary is irrelevant.

I have been a high school teacher for the past 19 years. I am in the range that I currently make slightly more than a resident. I know it is for only 9 months of work... And it is only about 45-50 hours a week.

I was having lunch with a friend and his wife, who is an RN. She was saying that "those poor residents, they make so little..." I laughed and said that teaching with a Master's degree in a public high school, it took me about 10 years to make as "little" as a resident. I will be taking a small pay cut, and a HUGE debt burden making the switch. I hope it is worth it when health care reform kicks in. Ha ha.

dsoz

for the record, whoever picked >$500,000 and is planning to throw that away for a career in medicine....ooh, I really think you should reconsider. Unless you're planning to just retire in a few years and go to med school for the fun of it. In which case, I still really think you should reconsider. :hungover:

If I made that at my current job, I would still go to med school. If I win the lottery, I'll still go to med school. If it's something you really want to do, why does salary change that?

Perhaps the 500k person already threw away the career for other reasons unrelated to medicine. And maybe they really do want to practice medicine even if the new salary is irrelevant.

If I made that at my current job, I would still go to med school. If I win the lottery, I'll still go to med school. If it's something you really want to do, why does salary change that?
Are you guys/gals really that big of a killjoy at parties too? I was speaking tongue in cheek. Several years from now when you're a resident, and you see some gung ho premed with a half million dollar salary wanting to give that up in return for *your* job, then the humor in what I said will be a lot more apparent to you.

105K the year I left my job. That is 75K in salary+25K stock options+5K on investments.

My hero.

I made over $200K. I have zero regrets.

$500K is alot of money. I have not met anybody in medical school circles with that kind of history. I have friends who are wealthy. I am in medical school thanks, in part, to them, and my savings, my family, the grace of God. But money is not everything. The physicians doing the whining today are the ones who made twice the salary ten years ago. They "miss" their money. Yet they are still making a killing.

As I write in my blog regularly (The Road Less Traveled to MD), the transition to pursuing an MD Degree for me is about a journey. It is not about arriving. It is about getting there. I try to enjoy the ride and not focus on what so many do here on SDN: Medical Rotations, Step Exams, Residency, Fellowship Training, paying off student debts. You need to relax.
I'm on a journey and I'm enjoying the ride. Why push it? Relax. It'll come to you eventually. Just enjoy your station in life right now. It won't be with you forever.

Physicians, sadly, are poor business men/women. Perhaps its all the Physics, Organic Chemistry, MCAT, Step 1, 2 3 grind that precludes developing the areas of the brain that accounts for having a mind for business success. I don't know why it is that physicians have chosen, in large part, to relinquish control of the livelihood to Insurance Company Executives while those executives make a 7 figure income. It makes no sense.

Medicine, for me, is about being in the moment: as a first year student, as a Resident, as a Fellow (if I choose that route), as an Attending. This is a thought that is lost on most.

I wrote in another thread on SDN about the phrase "golden handcuffs". Only one person on that thread understood the phrase b/c they too walked away from a career that was all about money (golden) but made them feel like a prisoner (handcuffs)

Alot of physicians feel that way about their profession. They hate the business landscape, try to disuade many of us from going into medicine, yet remain in the field.

They should retire.
They should make room for new blood
There are plenty of Valet Parking Jobs available in tourist towns. I once met a Valet Parking Attendant who had an MD Degree! He said he was much happier. He got to drive Rolls Royce and Aston Martin cars for a living.

So, consider looking at your medical training as a journey. Stop harping on what your earnings will be. Michael Crichton earned his MD Degree, walked away from the medical profession, and made a killing in writing. Frank Netter did the same thing. Netter is a hero and a role model for all medical students. But are they paying attention to his story? No, they are not.

What is your niche as a future physician that is not necessarily fee driven and dependent on reimbursement by Insurance Companies?

That's for you to discover.

38,000 but I had couple years of unemployment after graduating college. I live in south where we are under paid too! I am a supervisor, so I should be making in the 50,000+ if not 60,000s. Btw, this job didn't require more than a HS diploma but I have bachelor degrees in biochem and micro. I will miss the paycheck and hate the debt. Even if I won the lottery and became a multimillionaire, I will still attend medical school.

I will be taking a small pay cut, and a HUGE debt burden making the switch. I hope it is worth it when health care reform kicks in. Ha ha.

So why look to the health care reform as your means to an end? You are a chemistry teacher with a Masters Degree. You probably have great teaching skills. Few physicians are good teachers, never mind great ones. It is one thing to know medicine. It is another to be able to teach it. You can be the latter and make good money.

You have the background, the experience and the maturity to blend the medical sciences with teaching. You don't have to resign yourself as an experienced Chemistry teacher to work for a medical school to utilize your skills. You can teach in varied ways. I used to work with CME Organizations so that physicians could earn medical education units year round. These are required for MD/DO Physicians in the USA. I was often stunned at who ran the CME organizations. Some were big outfits. Some were local small time organizations. They were entrepreneurs. They had business vision. They were intense. As long as they're legal, that's all that mattered to me when promoting them to physicians.

So as a teacher, you could start your own CME organization. Or you could be a speaker for any number of organizations, be they large corporations, or starting your own. Good speakers are hard to find. Maybe you can be a trend setter, a Key Opinion Leader, as they are known in medical circles. You have alot of options in front of you due to your teaching skills. Focus on where your niche might be.

Your earning potential is limitless. I would not recommend you keeping your eyes focused on health care reform to determine whether you made a wise choice in going into medicine.

You made a wise choice by going into medicine. Now it is up to you to determine how you can use your teaching experience, skllsets, maturity and medical degree to profit you. You are in an enviable position. Your horizon is shining. Look at health care reform is a sure way to dullen your potential.

I think there is a real need for a consultant profession to counsel physicians in how to make money. Look at all of the SDN-ers who are flummoxed as to how they are going to pay off their debt.

Someone needs to lead them. Why not you?

I have always been pretty broke. With just a residency pay I would be singing The Jeffersons theme song.

How much is the average resident's pay?

Sorry this month's poll is late, but it goes well w/ one of our current discussions. For me, I earned around $30,000 - $35,000 in the years before I went to med school. Like I said in another thread, earning a resident's salary was like, cha-ching! :p

Currently at $110k looking forward to being back to $0k. I think I'd enjoy food stamps and Ramen noodles as a broke med student. Like RoadLessTraveled said, it's the Journey I am looking forward to, every step of the Journey.

As a stay-at-home-mom for many years before medical school, I personally earned zero dollars since 2004 but my husband makes a very good salary. When it comes to future earnings, that is really just icing on the cake for us since I have no "lost salary" to consider. I am fortunate to be in this situation, and finances did not factor into my decision to go to medical school -- I just needed to make sure to break even on the investment, which I'm pretty sure will happen by about the end of a four-year residency.

I'm in the 250k crew.

I am unhappy because:

1. The job isn't stimulating at ALL. Answering phone calls, sending emails, reviewing law documents, preparing financial statements, driving from business to business, going to these ridiculous meetings. Mind numbing.

2. I didn't obtain the job on my own merit. My father is my boss, and while I have worked hard in building aspects of our business (landing new contracts, organizing new diesel open accounts), I didn't define it myself. I want to settle of my own life and my own career. Again, I only make this large amount because it's my parents company. I could no doubt continue, and take over the businesses (as he would want me to do and encourages me to do) but I have no desire to.

and honestly, my perception of money and life has changed so much since I started working at 17. I'm 23 now. Life is way to short to chase money---I would rather help people and know I did something.

Best part---I wanna go into Pediatrics, so I'll be taking a permanent pay hit!

I'm like Q. My intern salary next year will be more money than I've ever made in a year. Unlike others who conquered one field before going for medicine, I left a trail of mediocrity before finally getting my ass in gear for medical school.

Two jobs currently. I work as a health educator in my primary job and earn $36, 875/yr. My secondary job is part-time instructor (distance learning public health and biology) at my undergraduate alma mater. I earn $2675/class and some semesters I have three classes and some only one. One weekend a month, I work two 12 hr shifts as an EMT-B in one of the local EDs for $17/hr; doing this to keep my skills up and show med school adcoms that medicine is what I want to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SDN Mobile

So why look to the health care reform as your means to an end? You are a chemistry teacher with a Masters Degree. You probably have great teaching skills. Few physicians are good teachers, never mind great ones. It is one thing to know medicine. It is another to be able to teach it. You can be the latter and make good money.

You have the background, the experience and the maturity to blend the medical sciences with teaching. You don't have to resign yourself as an experienced Chemistry teacher to work for a medical school to utilize your skills. You can teach in varied ways. I used to work with CME Organizations so that physicians could earn medical education units year round. These are required for MD/DO Physicians in the USA. I was often stunned at who ran the CME organizations. Some were big outfits. Some were local small time organizations. They were entrepreneurs. They had business vision. They were intense. As long as they're legal, that's all that mattered to me when promoting them to physicians.

So as a teacher, you could start your own CME organization. Or you could be a speaker for any number of organizations, be they large corporations, or starting your own. Good speakers are hard to find. Maybe you can be a trend setter, a Key Opinion Leader, as they are known in medical circles. You have alot of options in front of you due to your teaching skills. Focus on where your niche might be.

Your earning potential is limitless. I would not recommend you keeping your eyes focused on health care reform to determine whether you made a wise choice in going into medicine.

You made a wise choice by going into medicine. Now it is up to you to determine how you can use your teaching experience, skllsets, maturity and medical degree to profit you. You are in an enviable position. Your horizon is shining. Look at health care reform is a sure way to dullen your potential.

I think there is a real need for a consultant profession to counsel physicians in how to make money. Look at all of the SDN-ers who are flummoxed as to how they are going to pay off their debt.

Someone needs to lead them. Why not you?

Thanks for the reply. These are things that I have thought about in passing. Since I am still at the start of the journey, I need to do as you said in a post a few above and "live in the moment." Right now I am getting burned out on teaching (at least apathetic high schoolers) and want to "enjoy" being a learner again. I have taken a couple of classes in the past couple of years to whet my appetite for being in med school. A&P, biochem, immunology... Some of the most fun that I have had in a long time.

Maybe as I get through this process I will consider what you stated up above. Right now I am focusing on finishing this school year as a strong teacher, then I can think of how to be a student.

dsoz

Currently bringing in 60k with 3 years in. I also have some stock as well. My job is awesome, very flexible, some weeks 80 hours of work, while others I barely have to come in. I get sent all over the country on the company's dime which is awesome. I work in healthcare but until I'm treating patients I'll never feel close enough to doing what I love. Also, I'm very entrepreneurial and see my MD as an open door to a variety of new entrepreneurial endeavors, especially since most MDs don't like the business side of things. I'll probably get my MBA after residency.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

We (my wife, my son and I) are Living in SoCal and surviving on 20k plus some public welfare benefits (foods stamps and medicaid). However, my goal is once I take the mcat next week, to find another job so I could increase our income by at least another 8k. Gotta have some life before med school starts:D

I truly applaud those who are abandoned their five-star (making 100k+) lifestyles for noble pursuits. Despite medicine being my greatest passion in life, I'm not sure I would sacrifice a six-figure income for it. Perhaps my prospective is different because of my current economic situation and because of being the sole provider of my family. However, making such a dramatic shift is nothing short of miraculous.

I'm like Q. My intern salary next year will be more money than I've ever made in a year. Unlike others who conquered one field before going for medicine, I left a trail of mediocrity before finally getting my ass in gear for medical school.

:highfive:

lol, ditto

Right out of grad school, I was made 70k. It was really tough giving that up, especially with room for growth.

But, it I'm still happy with my decision to be in med school.

I make roughly $100k (I have a full-time job that accounts for 90% of that and a part-time job that account for 10%). I could make more money from my part-time job and probably hit 110-115k, but I use that time toward taking/studying for classes and the MCAT. I do live in the San Francisco Bay Area though, so $100k is probably the equivalent of making $25k in Boise, Idaho.

Unlike many, I'm pretty content with most aspects of my job EXCEPT for three things:
1 - I've wanted to be a physician for many years and I don't have my dream job.
2 - My job will always involve travel and spending more nights at a hotel than at home is getting old.
3 - Though not likely at the moment, there is a possibility down the line that my job could be done in India or Costa Rica making it obsolete before the end of my career.

25k until my contract was bought by another company and they raised it to 48k last year!

I grew up piss pot poor so I know how to manage on little

I was making 75k as a senior associate at a CPA firm

As a teacher I made 35-40k, then minimum wage in retail, then slightly more than minimum wage as a scribe. I'm actually excited at the prospect of making a resident's salary.