What say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an undergrad GPA of 2.852 and my Science GPA is about that much. Graduated in 2004 with a Biochemistry major. Planning to take the MCAT this year or early next year.
I am currently working with IBM...so I started out with science, moved to IT :( and now I want to get back to my field (I am 27years old). So is this going to hurt my app?
Will I get admission in med school if I do great in MCAT?
Should I do post-bacc or SMP to up my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

You're not in a very good position. You haven't even begun to demonstrate that you can get straight As in the sciences and I think that's what you need to do. You have a lot of GPA redemption to accomplish if you want to succeed. It will take dedication, time, and money to fix the situation, but if you are resolved to be a physician, then it can be done.

Here are two possible pathways to your goal:

1. You could do some post-bac work first, to get your cGPA high enough to qualify to get into an SMP. Even with an MCAT score of 43, without a recent proven track record of excellent grades in upper-level science classes, no med school will take a chance on you. High performance in the SMP could get you into an allopathic med school.

2. Plan to apply to DO med schools. Repeat the classes where you did the worst and use AACOMAS policy that includes only the most recent retake when calculating the application GPA. If you have a bunch of Ds and Fs, this is the fastest way to fix your low GPA if you can get As the second time (note: the repeated class must have the same number or greater in credit hours). Get straight As in the rest of your prerequisites due to your new work ethic. Get a good MCAT score to prove you understood the material. Shadow a DO and get a letter of recommendation.

Be aware that there are a few DO schools that consider applicants with a GPA of 2.75 or lower, BTW, if the MCAT score is really strong and there is a recent steep upward grade trend. Educate yourself on this option in SDN's PreMed Osteopathic Forum.

Sounds like you have been out of school for a while. I suggest some post-bac work (either a structured program like the Post Bac Certificate program at CSULA) or an informal post bac (take hard core science classes, 12 u per semester, for at least 2 semesters before applying. You could do that at most universities...DO NOT DO AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE!)

Med schools want to see that you are not "rusty" at doing school work. Being out of college a year or two before starting med school is ok, but you are going on 6? years, so I think you definitely need more schooling, and more UPPER DIVISION science coursework in particular. As an advisor at a California University, we have many post-bacs doing informal programs, and their success rates are pretty high.

I also agree with former post that you think about DO and Caribbean as well.... but do at least a year of postbac first!

Dr. R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!
I will definitely start off by doing post-bacc from this Fall.

Will 2 semesters of post-bacc be enough since MD schools average the grades?

Last edited:
With a 2.852? No - you'll need to do as many classes to get your cGPA to 3.0 and then apply to SMPs.

You are at least 2 years from starting med school

Will 2 semesters of post-bacc be enough since MD schools average the grades?
If you take two full-time semesters and get a 4.0, then your cGPA should rise to >3.0 by my rough figures, making some assumptions. (It would be good if you did your own math since we don't know your total credit hours thus far.) If you don't get straight As, it will take you longer.

Then you'll be ready to take the MCAT and apply to SMPs.