what scholarships are the best to apply for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neo3777

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

i was wondering if anyone had any strong opinions as to what scholarships are best to apply for. i was going to apply for the national health service corps but i feel that they try to sucker you into primary care only..even the application is kinda wacked out...i just dont want to have to narrow the scope of what i might want to do later by only applying to this scholarship. how does the navy and military treat you after you get out? what is the service requirements like?

Members don't see this ad.

I find it ironic that you say the "navy and military." ...just a funny line.

The military in and of itself has its fair share of problems in regards to medicine. It is essentially run as one large HMO thru all of the services. Each individual branch is a bit different. For example, the Army has the most military residencies and specialties. The Navy more than any other branch uses GMO tours. The Air Force has the least amount of residencies, the most people getting to do civilian residencies, and probably the "easiest" lifestyle.

There is a total payback time of 8 years. You are required to serve EITHER the length of your military residency or the lenght of the scholarship as a board certified physician (usually 3-4 years unless you take a long residency). The other 4(ish) years you either already did during residency, or will be served as IRR. So...if you do military residency, you will be on active duty 7-8 years. If you do civilian residency (but don't count on this), you will be on active duty 3-4 years.

The best advice I can give to you--is that if you are not going into the Military in order to serve our country (and doing it for the money instead), is that it is probably a BAD idea. I wanted to do the military anyhow (it was my backup plan), so for me this is ideal. I had a blast at my training and look forward to my career in the military after medical school.

Check out the military medicine forum...there is some good info on there, some ppl that are jaded. Feel free to pm me with specific questions.

yup my bad. i clearly know nothing :confused:
thanks for taking the time to give me the info

kaikai128 said:
I find it ironic that you say the "navy and military." ...just a funny line.

The military in and of itself has its fair share of problems in regards to medicine. It is essentially run as one large HMO thru all of the services. Each individual branch is a bit different. For example, the Army has the most military residencies and specialties. The Navy more than any other branch uses GMO tours. The Air Force has the least amount of residencies, the most people getting to do civilian residencies, and probably the "easiest" lifestyle.

There is a total payback time of 8 years. You are required to serve EITHER the length of your military residency or the lenght of the scholarship as a board certified physician (usually 3-4 years unless you take a long residency). The other 4(ish) years you either already did during residency, or will be served as IRR. So...if you do military residency, you will be on active duty 7-8 years. If you do civilian residency (but don't count on this), you will be on active duty 3-4 years.

The best advice I can give to you--is that if you are not going into the Military in order to serve our country (and doing it for the money instead), is that it is probably a BAD idea. I wanted to do the military anyhow (it was my backup plan), so for me this is ideal. I had a blast at my training and look forward to my career in the military after medical school.

Check out the military medicine forum...there is some good info on there, some ppl that are jaded. Feel free to pm me with specific questions.
:thumbup: :thumbup: