what school should you go to if you want to specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teeth247

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If u know after 4 years you want to specialize, which school would better prepare you for these programs and put you at an advantage among other candidates

Members don't see this ad.

Tough call. Certain schools are better at certain specialties. A lot of schools offer specialized training, so they may be better as a whole in those aspects of dentistry. It depends on what you want to do. If you already have a specialty that you are leaning toward, make some calls to certain schools that you are interested in. Also tell us here waht you want to do and maybe some people on here can help. Maybe post it in the Dental section rather that pre-dent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm startin dental school this fall. I got into NYU and UoM. A lot of ppl say that UoM is better if you want to specialize. I'm looking to go into ortho or oral surgery

ortho or oral surgery, how about you decide when you were ready, then try to figure out what you need to do; just don't tell your school I want to do ortho or oral surgery cause thats just screamin that u r after money. Good luck :)

School reputation has nothing to do with residency acceptance ! LIKE DENTAL SCHOOL ACCEPTANCE, DO THEY CARE IF YOU ARE AN ECON MAJOR FROM U OF NOWHERE? OFF COURSE NOT. IT'S ABOUT GPA , DAT, ECS...

It could even come down to staying with GP. Im just looking down the road from now to better prepare myself if I want to specialize

It seems that Michigan's funding from NIH is much more than NYU. Michigan is research oriented school, so is NYU. I think you need higher stats to get into Mich though. The major problem with Mich ( in my op) is location. But, If I had to choose, I would have picked Michigan over NYU. Their surgery program is reallllly good