Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What Schools are better for ortho surgery

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by villiarp, Apr 7, 2002.

1. villiarp

villiarp Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am an athletic training student so I work with all the sports teams at school. I mainly see orthopedic injuries and have a strong feeling that I would like to be an orthopedic surgeon, if I get into med school. I was just wondering what schools may provide the best opportunity to do so. University of Michigan I have heard to top notch, what others?

2. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

UCSD has the top Ortho residency program in the nation. I don't know if going to UCSD med would help though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

best way to find out would be to see which schools get the most NIH funding for orthopedic surgery. off the top of my head, i know that schools in the top ten for this funding include cornell (hospital special surgery), pitt, harvard (duh), michigan, and a few others.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LizardKing

LizardKing Veteran Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought Mayo was numero uno. If it isn't, it's definitely up there.

5. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know a guy who matched at Hopkins for Ortho this year. He loved it there. It's definitely on the list of the best.

6. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

here's a link of the orthopedics rankings from usnews:

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/health/hosptl/specorth.htm" target="_blank">http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/health/hosptl/specorth.htm</a>

7. imtiaz

Attending Physician
    Hey choker, can you hook a brotha up with the neurosurgery rank link? :D

8. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

dude, just go to the usnews health page and look it up. they dont have neurosurgery ranked specifically, but the DO have neurology/neurosurgery ranked together. i know columbia is REALLY REALLY big on neurosurgery, but i dont think it's the top top (maybe no. 5 or so).

9. imtiaz

Attending Physician
    Alright, I'll look for it. Thanks anyway. I think <a href="http://www.thebarrow.com" target="_blank">Barrow</a> is the best though.