What schools are full for the 2010 DO class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cornell87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody know ??

Members don't see this ad.

full?
a lot of them lol..
and those that arent are probably going to start looking at students that were waitlisted soon to fill in the blanks..

I would say none of them and would estimate more towards 50-60% full up to maybe 75%.

I agree. Last cycle I was invited on February 28 for an interview on April 3. As of the very beginning of March, however--as I discovered post-interview (thankfully for my sanity)--the class was full. I found this out by simply perusing SDN forums and reading the feedback of those recently interviewed/accepted and what the admissions staff had told them. So, at my school, the class did not "fill up" --as far as the allotted acceptances they were feasibly able to offer--until the beginning of March. However, this does not mean that the enrollment was completely full; in other words, I don't know that this also meant that 210/210 (example class size) had indeed sent in both deposits and officially decided to enroll. They had, however, already offered X amount of acceptances and were at their max. I am sure there is some sort of equation taken from past experience that is based upon offers given vs. actual enrollment. This would entail the amount of acceptances that particular school can offer without worrying about accidentally accepting too many. Long story short: I wouldn't worry about the class being full (as far as being able to continue offering acceptances) until March. You have at least 2 more months. Additionally, at that point, the school's class size might not even be fixed--150/200 may have sent in deposits, but there may be several 100 more still in limbo/deciding for those 50 remaining spots (which also depends on the school's deposit(s) deadlines). So even if you were to be waitlisted at that point, it doesn't necessarily mean the class is full, they're just out of acceptances they're able to offer. So don't get too stressed--you still have a few more months before worrying about interviewing for waitlist spots. On the plus side--I interviewed late, and was put on an alternate list of 40 kids. Only 2 were invited off the list to start in 2009 (which was no surprise to me that only 2 kids that were accepted/enrolled did officially withdraw--crappy job market = more people pursuing higher education in the interim!). Nonetheless, my school offered me an automatic acceptance to the entering class of 2010. I have had a fantastic year off thus far and it couldn't have worked out better for me. I know some other schools do have this type of "alternate list", as well, but I don't know how many or which ones. I was quite lucky to say the least :) Good luck, and don't start the stress yet!

*one little sidenote--MSU-COM's letter to me back in December 2008 had said that they have their class essentially filled by January--I don't think is common, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
*one little sidenote--MSU-COM's letter to me back in December 2008 had said that they have their class essentially filled by January--I don't think is common, though.

Yeah, I think I remember reading somewhere that they wanted everything in by August or something insanely early. It's crazy, but they can afford to do whatever they want. You see that OOS tuition??? I really think that MSU is alone in filling up by December. Many MD schools operate the same way.

Many DO schools interview well into the spring, although sometimes for waitlist spots.

Last I heard about MSU in terms of offers was around 70% "full" in December. I mention MSU specifically since they seem the most aggressive with filling the class up.

Like Bacc said, probably all around 50% right now. It's probably really hard to tell at any given time though, simply because of people who haven't paid deposits, etc.

I imagine schools have a better idea of acceptances right now, as the December 15th deposit deadline has passed.

I have concluded and believe that 1/3 of the applicant pool applies early (May - August) and gets an offer of acceptance for 2/3 of the class seats by December. That leaves 2/3 of the applicant pool (i.e. January MCAT takers, MD applicants who haven't been accepted and other late applicants for a host of reasons) scrambling for an acceptance in 1/3 of the total seats that may be remaining as yet unfilled.

Schools are allowed to accept a small percentage over their class size in anticipation of the applicant not showing up or declining at the last moment. At my interview at Wilkliam Carey U., I ws told that 108 would be accepted for a class of 100.

Large class deposits are due on April 15th. Seats open when applicants with multiple acceptances have to make a firm, final decision. So, the lesson is that by January classes may not be full but they are 60 -70% full and many applicants are competing. Required statistics rise. The competition gets tougher. One take away or lesson is apply early.