Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What schools are good? (serious)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by cliquesh, May 31, 2008.

1. cliquesh

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I feel that my career goals and personality are in line with the D.O. philosophy . However, I am considered that not all D.O. schools can provide a quality education. On average, according the book "DO: in America," D.O. schools operate on a 30million annual budget, which is hardly anything. Additionally, due to budget constraints, most D.O. schools have few full time faculty, and if they do a full-time member, he or she usually teaches multiple subjects. Then the book went on to list some more problems with D.O. education, which has, in all honesty, somewhat discouraged me from applying.

Anyway, so back to the question at hand, what are some good schools? Michigan seems to have a good program and, to my knowledge, PCOM has the most money out of any of the schools. But what about the rest?

I'd really like some objective help.

my states are 3.94 GPA and 28mcat

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BCLumas

BCLumas Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This goes back to the thread "what are the top 10 DO schools?" Not to be a downer, but threads like this are rather tiring. As we've said constantly in other threads and will be said repeatedly in this thread, each school has it's benefits and downsides. It is up to you as an applicant to decide which school is best for you.

Do you like warm weather? Cold?
    Do you like rural areas? Suburban? Urban?
    Do you like to be near your family? Does it not matter?
    Do you have a family of your own?
    Do you prefer LDL? Do you prefer PBL?

These are just SOME of the questions you need to ask yourself before you apply to any school to determine which schools are best for you as a person. Every person on here will vouch for their own programs and how effective they are tirelessly and it will just become another argumentative thread. Do what works for you. Do research on each school beyond just their funding and look at what they can offer you as a student. Only then will you find the answer you are looking for.

Good luck.

4. cliquesh

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, those are standard questions that I have asked myself. But the bigger question, at least for me, is that schools that fit my personality/financial situation can provide a decent education.

In April, 10 or so D.O. schools visted my college, and, in my opinion, some of them looked like garbage, whereas others looked respectable. So maybe you didn't understand my question, or you think all D.O. schools are equal.

5. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Its going to be what you make of it. You can get a good education at any of them.

In April, 10 DO schools visited your college? What can you really judge based on a little display they have set up, and maybe a brochure?

6. a817

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you seems to want a well funded large university... correct me if i am wrong. I would look for schools with good hospital connections, been around for a while. Look for schools affilated with large universities, large campuses etc. On interview you tell which schools, you like and you dont like.

This for the amount of research money some schools get, but it was 5 years ago.
    http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/reprint/103/4/176.pdf

7. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That philosophy is marketing. Only crappy MDs disavow it. You won't find a good doctor who disagrees with it.
    This is a fresh question. Interesting. To use operating budgets and faculty responsibilities as objective data, you'd have to compare DO schools to MD schools. With ~130 MD schools, you'll see a continuum that is far wider than that of DO schools. There are a lot of MD schools with substantial budget problems, like OHSU and most of the Florida schools. It's nearly impossible to compare a school that's running a hospital, plus nursing/PT/PA/etc. schools, research plants, foundations and institutes, etc. with a school like LECOM-B, which is one building, DO and Pharm only, max 300 students, all for $25k per student with almost no state funding. The part-time faculty at LECOM-B are substantially more available than the full-time faculty at a way-up-there school like UWSOM.

Regardless, you can find well-funded schools with prestigious, published MD/PhD faculty who are irredeemable douchebags, and you can find underfunded schools with unknown, low-profile, part-time DO faculty that take really good care of you and set you up for success. And everything in between.
    If you're looking for objective help on "quality" and "good" then I'd point you to Webster's. As you'll see in the pissing match that was the last "what are the top 10 DO schools?" thread, the choice of an optimal school is utterly subjective.
    Whether you go MD or DO, be ready to explain why your MCAT doesn't match your GPA, particularly if you are a science major.

Best of luck to you.

8. BCLumas

BCLumas Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First of all, I never said that. I think that all DO schools have an equal opportunity to offer you a solid medical education. As TT said, it's what you make of it. Second of all, if you going to sit here and insinuate that whatever schools you decide to apply to are overall better schools than the other, then I suggest just shutting up right now. The school may be better for YOU, but better overall is purely subjective and based upon the criteria.

For example, let's compare PCOM, MSUCOM, and LECOM. You mention the "prestige" that the first two carry, but let's determine the criteria for this comparison. Let's compare their use of PBL as a main teaching technique. Which school is most noted for having a better PBL curriculum? LECOM. Does it carry the assumed "prestige" that PCOM and MSUCOM have in your eyes? Probably not. Does it have a better strict PBL program? Probably.

So don't sit here and say that one school is lesser than another because it is only a lesser school if it does not work for you. If it works for someone else then it is the best school in the world for them.

Good luck.

9. BCLumas

BCLumas Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are my hero. I'm gonna start praying that you get taken off the waitlist and get into our school even more.

/pray

10. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ugh ... your information is wrong. You make Osteopathic Medical schools sound like carnie, strip-mall trade schools. Usually the more established a school is, the more resources they have, you'll get a quality education wherever you go, etc, etc, etc.

11. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Great post all around.

12. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Honestly, the 28 will be more of an issue at MD programs than DO programs. With those stats, the OP will have no issue getting into most/any DO programs given said person isn't a total tool during interviews or has poor LORs.

13. DannMann99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  14. DocInProgress

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    their match list didn't really impress me this year.

15. gasapple

gasapple Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    This is a response in a recent sister "best DO school" bull**** thread, it definitely applies and is frequently overlooked by pre-meds:

"I'm not sure what you mean by "impressive match-list," but overall, this is irrelevant. A match list is a snapshot of a given class. Even if people got their top choices, this really does not tell you much beyond that (they could know someone there; they rotated there and made a really good impression; they lucked out during the match algorithm, etc.)-this does not mean that the school helped them obtain their match. But many schools will use this sort of propaganda to attract unsuspecting pre-meds and their tuition dollars (keep in mind that medical school is a business transaction-they agree to teach you and your agree to pay them to do so unless you're one of the rare ones who receives a full-ride). You want to go where you will get your money's worth.

Clinical rotations are what matter. I can not stress this enough. Third year is where you learn medicine. IMHO, this is where you should spend your energy to decide which school will be the best fit for you." - AminoAcid

16. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
  17. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, that is pretty good ... no matter how you want to look at it. That MD ophthalmology must be that SDN member DRSARIB. Sorry, I know that probably isn't exactly (or even close) to his user name, but someone should know who I'm talking about.

18. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    DO schools aren't large research hubs, so the only thing they need to cover in their operating budget is the cost of faculty and equipment, hence lower budgets.

As for the faculty issue, I think it's hard to determine how good the quality of education is just by looking at employment status. Part-time faculty are frequently practicing physicians who can bring the perspective of the clinical world into the classroom. Sometimes they make great lecturers because of this sometimes they're bad. If a faculty member happens to be a good teacher, there's no reason they shouldn't teach more than one subject within their scope of expertise such as pathology/histology or physiology/pharmacology for example. In the end, you'll find out that medical school is really just self-study and most people don't go to lecture unless it's mandatory.

In regards to some schools "looking like garbage", I think it comes as a shock to some students to see schools that are housed in one building after experiencing life in sprawling universities with 50 or more departments and numerous programs. You don't need to occupy 10 city blocks when you are only running one or a few programs at your institution.

Your best bet is to apply broadly to schools that meet your geographic and MCAT/GPA requirements, attend as many interview days as possible to get a feel for the schools. Talk to students to get the scoop on the faculty. Look at the Match lists, find out where they do their clinicals, see how much technology they use. These will give you a lot more info than just looking at budgets and employment lists.

19. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In my experience much of that information about faculty is just flat incorrect.

20. BobBarker

BobBarker Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OSU is a very good school. We have our own hospital and Dr. Goljan is in charge of 2nd year. OSU's match list isn't amazing, but that is primarily due to most students wanting to do primary care. You have a good shot of getting in with your stats. I believe out of state tuition is 34K. We grant a DO/PhD so I know there has to be some research going on, if that is important to you.

21. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with MJB. However, it may be like that at certain other DO programs; LMU has no issues with that so I can't speak for the other DO programs. We seem to be getting more and more full-time specialized faculty the moment they begin teaching as adjunct b/c they like it here. So, that is impressive. These doctors are also very good and knowledgeable in their respective fields (some even experts in their field). The adjunct part-time faculty are also very good. I can't say I had any major complaints -- of course there will be some that just annoy you but that's a different matter.

If you are worried, I'd apply to PCOM, NJ, NYCOM, Mich St., KCUMB, KCOM, DMU, TCOM -- the for-sure well-established DO programs. If I'm missing a program, oh well. Or, go MD.

22. ellinopedo182

ellinopedo182 Deleted User
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    i heard harvard is a pretty good school now a days.

23. a817

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    they have an amazing osteopathic program

24. DannMann99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pretty sure everyone is lying to you.

From what i've read: PCOM is better then every other medical school, and is better than placebo in double blind studies.

#23 DannMann99, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  25. gasapple

Removed

Medical Student
    I might be inclined to read what you're typing if you could spell.

26. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    How do you know he spelled something wrong if you didn't read it?

27. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    He, too, is "lieing"

28. ellinopedo182

ellinopedo182 Deleted User
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    everyone is a lier.

29. endocardium

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Aw, come on. Everyone knows that Stewart U. is the best medical school. They know that clinical rotations are the least of our concerns.

30. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

If you don't mind signing a contract to remain in state for 5 yrs and the 5% OOS acceptance rate.

31. WoahMedicine

WoahMedicine Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    MSUCOM has a solid base hospital system which contains many different AOA approved residencies (google MSUCOM and check it out on the website). With that being said, I am pretty sure you can "away" rotate into those hospitals from most any Osteopathic School. I love these threads because they give the false presupposition that getting into school is so easy that you are going to have tons of choices. Apply everywhere you can afford and find places that like to send graduates into areas you are interested. For instance, if I were to apply to MSUCOM I would probably say something about being interested in primary care. Best of luck!

:D

32. gasapple

Removed

Medical Student
    Yea, I was lieing.

33. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm pretty sure the contract is with OUCOM, not OSUCOM.

34. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yup. It's for Ohio, not Oklahoma ... though I always get the abbreviations confused.

35. gasapple

Removed

Medical Student
  36. Archer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ah, so this is the thread where the outliers hang out!

37. quenton cassidy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Which schools are good? The ones that let you in.

38. Chicago Person

Chicago Person I'll miss you, AMCAS
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Ahem, let's not forget CCOM.

39. Bond8204

Bond8204 Anatomy Lab Crasher
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

...definitely worth bumping up this lame-ass thread for.. :rolleyes: