What schools are "known for"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0U1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen this in a lot of the other Doctor Forms and think it's a great Idea!
Particular research areas, specialties etc...
I'll Start
University at Buffalo--SUNY: Tinnitus Research
The University of Texas at Dallas: Cochlear Implants
University of Washington in St. Louis:
World-Renowned Oral School for Hearing-Impaired Children
Purdue University
:PHASE (Purdue Hearing & Acoustics in Science & Engineering)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Indiana University -- 3 yr AuD program and famous in speech perception research

University of Nebraska-Lincoln ----- close affiliation wirh Boys Town Research Hospital

Salus University (PCO) ----- located within school of optometry

Indiana University -- 3 yr AuD program and famous in speech perception research

University of Nebraska-Lincoln ----- close affiliation wirh Boys Town Research Hospital

Salus University (PCO) ----- located within school of optometry
Indiana University aren't all Audiology program 3 years and 4th year externship

Members don't see this ad :)
In Indiana University's case, I think it's 2 years schooling with 1 year externship for a total of 3 years.

In Indiana University's case, I think it's 2 years schooling with 1 year externship for a total of 3 years.
Au.D. Curriculum

The Au.D. curriculum has 90 credit hours, 66 credit hours of which involve didactic instruction, the other 24 credit hours being clinical practicum. Students must complete a minimum of 2000 hours of supervised, clinical practicum during the AuD. The Au.D. takes a minimum of three years to complete, with the program of study being as follows:

• The first year of the Au.D. emphasizes the science underlying the discipline of audiology, with courses in anatomy and physiology of the ear, acoustics, and psychoacoustics, and providing instruction in audiometry, diagnostics, and amplification.
  • The second year of the Au.D. focuses on courses that relate directly to the scope of practice of the clinical audiologist, with instruction in pediatric audiology, auditory disorders, amplification, rehabilitation, counseling, and diagnostic tests.
  • The third year of the Au.D. involves a full-time clinical externship at an off-campus site and internet-based instruction in clinical audiology.
The Indiana University Au.D. fulfills the requirements for certification in audiology specified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association for doctoral level audiologists (to become the entry-level qualification on January 1, 2012).
Very Interesting!

What's the difference between three and four year programs? If Indiana U. and Northwestern (I believe) can graduate students after three years, then why the extra classes from the 4-year programs? Are 3-year programs less/same/more qualified than 4-year programs? It seems that IU do not have capstone projects (I didn't see it on the website) like many other 4-year programs, thus no need to take extra classes for foundational research and/or statistic course. However, the NU program does have a capstone presentation at the end of the 2nd year.

...just thoughts.

Northwestern University---- they have their own top notch research hospital (which is very good, BTW!)

Last edited:
What's the difference between three and four year programs? If Indiana U. and Northwestern (I believe) can graduate students after three years, then why the extra classes from the 4-year programs? Are 3-year programs less/same/more qualified than 4-year programs? It seems that IU do not have capstone projects (I didn't see it on the website) like many other 4-year programs, thus no need to take extra classes for foundational research and/or statistic course. However, the NU program does have a capstone presentation at the end of the 2nd year.

...just thoughts.

Northwestern University---- they have their own top notch research hospital (which is very good, BTW!)
Yea i was wondering the same thing myself actually i dont have any idea why there not all 3 years or four years, anyone else know why?

I.U. and Northwestern are 3years total........... THere accelerated programs, hope its not too intense................Will let you know!!

I contacted Au.D graduates from I.U. because some say 3 yr. programs are frowned upon....THey all had 100% placement and felt the faculty was exceptional.

IU and Northwestern are, arguably, two the strongest audiology research programs in the country. It is unlikely that their AuD programs are less rigorous than 4 year AuD programs at other universities. If you can get in, have the money,and want to get done faster, I would recommend them.

IU and Northwestern are, arguably, two the strongest audiology research programs in the country.

My point exactly! No one will question your competency or credentials if you graduate from NU, even though it's a 3-yr program. What I don't understand is why other universities don't follow suit. I do not see any difference in classes of a 3 yr. vs. 4 yr. program. If I decided to pursue a Ph.D, the time to complete the program (average 4 years) can be justified with my level of research. If your motivated enough, you complete your Ph.D in 3.5 years (post Masters)!

My thoughts tie into another thread, discussing the merit of the 4-yr. AuD degree. Is it a glorified Master degree?

My point exactly!
My thoughts tie into another thread, discussing the merit of the 4-yr. AuD degree. Is it a glorified Master degree?

I think some programs ARE definitely glorified AuDs while others ARE NOT. If I had to speculate I would say the traditionally better programs are more likely to be true doctoral level programs because there is more competitive admissions resulting in a higher caliber student. Therefore, increased academic demands can be achieved with this group. At programs where the masters was mediocre, the program was probably less competitive and upgrading to the AuD, in many cases, meant just adding more courses.

There were actually a series of papers on the topic of moving from the masters to the AuD back in the 90s and early 2000s. I think the move was unjustified. I believe it would have been better to revamp the undergrad curriculum so that the masters curriculum could be strengthened. Instead the weak foundation that is the CSD undergrad is used as a foundation for incredibly watered down physics, medicine, biology, stats, etc.

I think these programs are three years, because students are going to school year round. They have Fall, Spring, and Summer terms!

Vanderbilt is 4 years even though you go during the summers, as well.

Which programs don't go through the summer? All of them I applied to did....

all the programs i looked at went through the summer, but not always every summer, or the whole summer.

UAMS has the largest assistive device collection in the region, maybe the country. It has a good loan program for said assistive devices.