What schools are mainly clinical based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNR.Grad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the AADSAS guide, but some of the schools aren't clear on whether they are research or clinical based. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the AADSAS guide, but some of the schools aren't clear on whether they are research or clinical based. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

In no particular order and as a completely biased and incomplete list:

University of the Pacific
Nova Southeastern
UNLV
ASDOH
Temple
Case

Nova Southeastern
UNLV
ASDOH
Temple
Case

So are you listing research or clinical schools? My guess would be clinical, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you listing research or clinical schools? My guess would be clinical, right?

Those look like clinical schools. Any more help would be great, thanks!

i think that any school you choose will train you well for clinical. The dentist I have been talking to (my friend's dad) went to UM, but this was 20 years ago so it could be different now.. but he said that going to UM trained him completely well to be practicing on his own. He said after he got out he was ready to practice without any worries whatsoever. I think UM is considered more of a "research school" too.

Most schools are clinical based. And by most I mean all, with the exception maybe being Harvard. And even Harvard, I'm sure, does a decent job of graduating clinicians. You're earning a DDS/DMD; you're a practitioner not a researcher. They don't emphasize it in the guide because it's basically splitting hairs.

However, if you looking to do dental research, there are less expensive options than the DDS/DMD to do that, i.e. a MS or PhD.

Despite what people say on SDN, ALL dental schools are clinically based.

Nova Southeastern
UNLV
ASDOH
Temple
Case

i'd throw tufts into the mix, as well as loma linda