What schools are most affordable for oos? Are my stats good enough to get scholarships at a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted996391

-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
your best bets for cheapest schools are UCLA and UCSF
then look to the schools that give scholarships
and also schools that give in state tuition after 1 year

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I go to UNLV, so I'm biased. But every OOS student qualifies for In state tuition after a year. I'm about to be a D2, and I am from OOS, and I recently was approved for In State Tuition for my upcoming semester starting in September. Once it's all said and done, I'll save about $120K by the time I graduate just from this alone.

I am sure other schools do this too, so keep looking around. Good luck!

As others have said look for schools that give you instate after a year. Even private schools that give scholarships are still obscenely expensive because their tuition is criminally high. My state school is still cheaper than Penn even when they offer their Dean's scholarship, for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
If you’re interested in the military and don’t have any major health issues, I’m pretty sure you’re a lock for a 4 yr scholarship. Of course, this is a big decision and requires a lot of thought.

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re interested in the military and don’t have any major health issues, I’m pretty sure you’re a lock for a 4 yr scholarship. Of course, this is a big decision and requires a lot of thought.

I dont think the military is for me, but what about NHSC scholarship? Do you know about that/what kind of people they are looking for?

I dont think the military is for me, but what about NHSC scholarship? Do you know about that/what kind of people they are looking for?
they are looking for people who are willing to work in a public health setting in a very rural area

they are looking for people who are willing to work in a public health setting in a very rural area
I'm so down for that...but would I need to have extensive volunteer hours in a free dental clinic or would my stats, plus stellar essays and letters of rec give me a decent shot?

I'm so down for that...but would I need to have extensive volunteer hours in a free dental clinic or would my stats, plus stellar essays and letters of rec give me a decent shot?
sorry, I don't know much more than that

google is your friend...
or use the search function on SDN

As others have said look for schools that give you instate after a year. Even private schools that give scholarships are still obscenely expensive because their tuition is criminally high. My state school is still cheaper than Penn even when they offer their Dean's scholarship, for instance.

Rutgers allows OOS students in-state tuition after the first year.

Reactions: 1 user
Colorado. Doesn't offer in-state tuition after a year but offers grants up to like $12,500/yr after year 1 if you qualify

@billybensonjr The NHSC scholarship is not something you can “plan” on getting, meaning you shouldn’t make a decision on dental schools assuming you’ll receive it because it’s very competitive and you’ll have to accept an offer for dental school long before you find out if you’ll be getting the scholarship. Ideally, choose an affordable school in a location where you’d be okay living for four years. Then apply for the scholarship, and if you get it, it’s a bonus. As far as the NHSC selection process, it is very important to have some kind of significant involvement with underserved communities. You’ll need to write about it extensively in the essays, and have a strong LOR from someone who can speak to your involvement with the underserved. Academics are important, but not everything. You need a strong academic letter and at least a decent GPA. They do not consider DAT, MCAT, etc - only GPA from your most recent academic program. Your essays and LOR carry a lot of weight.

Reactions: 4 users
UNC also lets you get in-state rate after 1 year of living in NC and it’s pretty low tuition relatively.

Here;s a list of schools that will offer in-state tuition after the first year:

• UCLA
  • UCSF
  • UConn
  • UFlorida
  • UNC Chapel Hill
  • Texas A&M
  • Texas Houston
  • Stony Brook
  • Maryland
  • UNebraska Las Vegas
  • Rutgers