Mar 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, I'm a first generation student. Currently at a state university, I am Mexican American and female... I'd like to ask for any advice of schools I should be considering... I would love to get into a great school like UCSF or Colombia... but I don't know if I should be setting my hopes so high. In all honestly, I just want to go to med school! Here's what I have to work with:
GPA is a 3.5
MCAT: yet to be taken... but on practice tests I'm scoring like a solid cumulative ~30... so I'm expecting around there for the actual.
Extras: 2years volunteer at children's hospital
1 year appointment research with hospital
Medical interpreter; volunteer for a free clinic who serve the uninsured/undocumented
Work as a caregiver for an autistic boy
Global Medical Brigade- provided medical treatment services to villagers in Honduras
Study Abroad - Australia and London (internships with both)
Major: Global Health
and there are orgs on campus I'm apart of... mostly which help encourage under represented youth come to college...
okay, so that's all I'll bore you with.
Any advice would be REALLY appreciated... thank you in advance!

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi, I'm a first generation student. Currently at a state university, I am Mexican American and female... I'd like to ask for any advice of schools I should be considering... I would love to get into a great school like UCSF or Colombia... but I don't know if I should be setting my hopes so high. In all honestly, I just want to go to med school! Here's what I have to work with:
GPA is a 3.5
MCAT: yet to be taken... but on practice tests I'm scoring like a solid cumulative ~30... so I'm expecting around there for the actual.
Extras: 2years volunteer at children's hospital
1 year appointment research with hospital
Medical interpreter; volunteer for a free clinic who serve the uninsured/undocumented
Work as a caregiver for an autistic boy
Global Medical Brigade- provided medical treatment services to villagers in Honduras
Study Abroad - Australia and London (internships with both)
Major: Global Health
and there are orgs on campus I'm apart of... mostly which help encourage under represented youth come to college...
okay, so that's all I'll bore you with.
Any advice would be REALLY appreciated... thank you in advance!
You must be URM? :)

I envy your expectations ;)

Not too sure how to answer your question w/o knowing if you are URM. but If you are URM. The sky is your limit.

If you are not,
maybe... something else then! (I dont know my school list well enough)

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Your numbers get you past the intial screening process, then your ECs determine if you fit the mission of a given school.

Your clinical experience is very good. Have you done any physician shadowing yet? This is an activity expected by most schools. If your free clinic translating was for physicians, you may already have some of this.

Your research is about average for applicants. Any publications, posters, or presentations?

You declined to specify much with your on-campus activities. Teaching, leadership, and nonmedical community service are other activities that are significant in the med school application process. The responsibility you took helps a school determine if you have potential as a future leader in medicine, as an academician, or as a community physician.

You might like to borrow a copy of the MSAR from your prehealth advising office so you can get a feel of the focus of each school you have an interest in. You'll want to research the style of curriculum, weather, urban vs lower population areas, safety, cost, distance from home, etc. You'll need a solid MCAT score though, before you can settle on a definite list.

Mar 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Your numbers get you past the intial screening process, then your ECs determine if you fit the mission of a given school.

Your clinical experience is very good. Have you done any physician shadowing yet? This is an activity expected by most schools. If your free clinic translating was for physicians, you may already have some of this.

Your research is about average for applicants. Any publications, posters, or presentations?

You declined to specify much with your on-campus activities. Teaching, leadership, and nonmedical community service are other activities that are significant in the med school application process. The responsibility you took helps a school determine if you have potential as a future leader in medicine, as an academician, or as a community physician.

You might like to borrow a copy of the MSAR from your prehealth advising office so you can get a feel of the focus of each school you have an interest in. You'll want to research the style of curriculum, weather, urban vs lower population areas, safety, cost, distance from home, etc. You'll need a solid MCAT score though, before you can settle on a definite list.
Hi, thanks for all your feedback!
The interpreting I do is for physicians as well as for medical students. The research I am involved in is CSF leakage, and it is a potential publication within the next year. Also, the orgs I am involved with at my university include do include one leadership position with the organization for my merit scholarship, we do lots of community service and volunteering, as well as another for students who provide awareness and resources for under represented youth to come to college...

I am a "URM" - under represented minority, in that I am Mexican-American, and a first generation female student, does this have a great impact on my application?

I know those schools I mentioend seem very ambitious, that's why I said I didn't wanna get my hopes so high, and so I need a reality check, and I'd like to know what I should aim for.

I'll take your advice and look into the MSAR.

Any other comments will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys!

JohnnyExtra

↓↘→ X
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2009
The Trenches
Status
Attending Physician
Applying to med school is like putting together a PR campaign. 30+ MCAT, and you're golden if you know how to sell it.