what schools have cutoffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosdef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew what schools had cutoffs for a verbal reasoning score of a 6

Members don't see this ad.

mosdef said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what schools had cutoffs for a verbal reasoning score of a 6

Almost all of the accredited schools in the U.S. really hate to see a score below an 8 in any section (ESPECIALLY the verbal). Unless you have a 13+ in both of the other sections, I wouldn't apply this year. Retake the MCAT - it'll be worth it!

check out the MSAR. it shows what the lowest score each school accepted was for the last year, i think. i'd definitely consider retaking it, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zong117 said:
check out the MSAR. it shows what the lowest score each school accepted was for the last year, i think. i'd definitely consider retaking it, though.

Does it show that? The old one didn't and I'm trying to decide whether to buy the new one.

yeah, on 1-15 scales it circles what the median score was for each section for that school. behind that is a shaded gradient thing that shows the range of scores that entered that school.

I think most schools in general are reluctant to "say" they've got cut-offs. I was told, though, that UCSD SOM is a big-time number school... :rolleyes:

jonsir said:
I think most schools in general are reluctant to "say" they've got cut-offs. I was told, though, that UCSD SOM is a big-time number school... :rolleyes:

damn...already submitted amcas too. anybody kind enough to post what kind of numbers? i'm too lazy to go dig up my msar

I was told at an info session that science gpa cutoff for UCSD SOM is 3.25 for secondaries, but the MSAR listed matriculant median overall gpa is 3.76, science 3.75.
Hope that helps :D

In response to the OP question, what exactly did you earn in your overall mcat score? If you score high enough to make the composite average score of your intended school and if you have a strong complete application package, I would say go ahead and give this cycle a shot. I have heard of people getting interviews with a low verbal and doing so well on the interviews and getting in. I would also suggest applying as early as possible, like today or tomorrow if you haven't already. By applying early, you would get a feel for how your application is percieved depending on the amount of secondaries you get back, that way if you are not recieving secondaries, then you can start planning a plan B like a masters program and plan to take the mcat again next year. Also if you can, include that you intend on taking maybe a literature or some kind of reading humanities course next semester and make sure you have a good reason for your low verbal score. Hope this helps.

There are something like 125 allopathic medical schools in the US. Do you want us to go through all of them?

patzan said:
There are something like 125 allopathic medical schools in the US. Do you want us to go through all of them?

why not?? go ahead make my day!!

Does anyone know the GPA and MCAT cutoffs for primaries for the UCs?
For the MCATs, is it by section or overall?

UCLA
UCI
UCSD
UCSF
UC Davis

Thanks

Zong117 said:
yeah, on 1-15 scales it circles what the median score was for each section for that school. behind that is a shaded gradient thing that shows the range of scores that entered that school.

Yea, but the low range of scores includes all MCAT scores each matriculant had. someone with a 6 who got in probably re took, but it still looks like someone got in with a 6

dr.z said:
Jefferson does not accept anything below 8 on any section.

I wanted to apply to jefferson. I got a 29Q on the mcat with a 8 on verbal, and then retook got a 31O with a 7 on verbal. Doyou know if they will reject based on the latest score? Thanks in advance...

shorts have cutoffs

Hmm.. I don't understand, if you are willing to spend thousands in fees to prepare for the MCAT, take it, apply, send secondaries, interview - why on Earth would you not spend $25 for the MSAR where all of these questions are answered?