What schools have or are planning new facilities i.e. sim lab, clinic etc..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quakinator

Happy Valley Go Cougs!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering which schools have recently completed improvements to their campuses. This would involve new buildings, renovations of old buildings or plans to renovate or update existing buildings. Please list any schools that have had these done in the last 5 years or that are planning on having them completed before 2007. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are dozens more, but other people will have to post since I only know these:

U of Pacific
U of Washington
Boston University

all have updated simulation labs

I think Bayor has a sim-lab

Members don't see this ad :)
It probably goes without saying that at Arizona, everything is new.

The didactic facilities are new. The simlab is one year old. The clinic walls are going up as we speak and it will be done early next year.

Colorado will have a whole new school next fall.

osu is rumored to be planning a new dental school.

...but u didnt hear it from me.

Houston is planning on a new school in the next 5-10 yrs

UNC should be done with most/all of their renovations by 2007.

grtuck

Case: simulation lab and DentSim completed in 2000
Ongoing changes to its dental program and clinics

Detroit Mercy: will be relocating to a soon to be built dental school at their main campus in 2007.

this may be a little off topic but i heard from various sources that University of Utah is planning to build a new dental school. can anyone verify?

kato999 said:
this may be a little off topic but i heard from various sources that University of Utah is planning to build a new dental school. can anyone verify?

been a rumor for years...

the problem is there is actually a glut of dentists in utah.(at least the more urban areas)
...so it is difficult to claim that the dental needs of utah are not being met.

kato999 said:

I've heard this also, but don't think it will happen because nearly every applicant from the state of Utah gets into dental school somewhere, and then a lot of them head back to Utah to practice.

Until the students from Utah start not getting in, it doesn't seem like having a school would be a priority.

Case recruits heavily for Utah students and many Case dental students are from Utah, so this might be one of the school that you might want to look into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maryland has an entirely new building supposedly opening in mid-2005.

kato999 said:

I actually asked that question less than a year ago to someone who would be in on the development/opening of a program like that at the U of U and his exact words were "Not a chance."

His explaination included the following reasons (among others, some mentioned already in other posts):
-Utah as a state already has more dentists per 1000 people than most any other state.
-Compound on top of that agreements like R-Dep, and the fact that so many Utah residents go to school elsewhere and then return to Utah to practice, and the state legislature would have a very difficult time convincing or justifying to anyone that there exists a need for a dental school.
-Dental schools are so expensive to operate (second only to DVM's) and the U of U is in a bit of a budget crunch already.

Sure it'd be nice for those who are from Utah and inevitably go away to school every year only to return in 4 years, but the finger on the pulse of things like that says no chance. The reality is that if anything a private school is a much greater likelihood for Utah in the near future.

Of course sure as I say this, the U of U will probably make an announcement tomorrrow. But that's what I've been told.

Oh- BYU 20, ND 17 :) ...just ignore last weekend in Palo Alto.

quakinator said:
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering which schools have recently completed improvements to their campuses. This would involve new buildings, renovations of old buildings or plans to renovate or update existing buildings. Please list any schools that have had these done in the last 5 years or that are planning on having them completed before 2007. Thanks.

The health professions office at the Y should be able to furnish contact info for students at pretty much any school mentioned in this post that you are interested in. I'd say to contact those students directly and get their feedback if renovated/new facilities are high on your list of what you're looking for in a dental program.

adamlc18 said:
Colorado will have a whole new school next fall.

Ah yes, at least OEC will lead them to believe they do...

UCLA has a new 4th floor lab (which is where you spend your time doing preclinical lab work) completed about a year ago. Attached to it, is a new simulation lab. We also have a new 3rd floor wet lab (which is where you do your lab work for real patients) which was completed perhaps 2 years ago. We have a new implant center (not really a center since it's small) completed within the past half a year, but undergrads don't really use this. Our general clinic is fairly new too, but I'm not sure when it was renovated (it was before I got into dental school). They also made a student lounge for us within the last 3 years.

I know it's not a dental facility, but at Nova here, we're building a brand new rec center for students. It's something ridiculous like $30M. A new state-of-the-art gym will be sweet! As some of us may know, having a great school gym adds a lot to a school!

University of Maryland, our new 10 story building is scheduled to open Jan 2006

dntlqt
U Maryland 2008

if you had an interest in studying on a campus under construction..
come to columbus.

there are something like 11 projects going on right now (including a $140M rec center-supposedly to be the largest of it's kind in the us)

it sucks for me...
...since we get to enjoy the lack of parking...and i'll be long gone by the time they finish this extreme campus make-over.

but it will be great for the new kids coming in..
http://www.columbusmonthly.com/article1.html

dntlqt said:
University of Maryland, our new 10 story building is scheduled to open Jan 2006

dntlqt
U Maryland 2008

dntlqt,

where did you hear that it wasnt going to be finished till january? Last I heard it was supposed to be finished earlier than that. I did hear this a long time ago,though. You know how these building projects are. By the way, I'm a second year at umd.

of course UNLV's dental school facility is brand new this year; i don't know specifics but i read it somewhere when I was applying last fall.

However, I do know that at Stony Brook, we will be implementing digital radiography at all clinic chairs in about a month. In addition, since not too long ago all our patient records have been digitized.

Oh yes, and our student lounge/reception/study area was renovated over the summer, and just reopened 9 days ago. It now has swanky leather couches, new desktop computer stations, two wood-panelled conference rooms, etc...