What schools require Organic Chemistry II lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patricklin27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most schools require Organic Chemistry I lab. However, I heard only a few schools require Organic Chemistry II lab. What schools require Organic Chemistry II lab?

Members don't see this ad.

I know most schools require Organic Chemistry I lab. However, I heard only a few schools require Organic Chemistry II lab. What schools require Organic Chemistry II lab?

I have never heard this before, so i consulted my 2012 AEDA manual... found a few surprises:

Midwestern AZ and Midwestern IL only requires 1 semester or organic and lab, but in turn they also require anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and biochem

ULCA does not require either lab for o-chem 1 or 2, just 6 credits

UCSF only requires 1 semester of organic and lab, but also require biochem

UIC only requires 1 semester of organic and lab

Indiana only requires 1 semester of organic and lab, but also require anatomy, physiology, and biochem

Tufts only requires 1 semester of organic and lab, but also requires biochem

Creighton does not require either lab for o-chem, just 6 credits

Case Western does not require either lab for o-chem, just 6 credits

Pittsburgh does not require either lab for o-chem, just 6 credits

So realistically, UCLA, UIC, Creighton, Case, and Pitt are your only options for not taking a lab, because for the others you will have arguably harder classes that you also need to take. Not to mention, the overwhelming majority of applicants you are competing with will have taken it, so it will put a hindrance on your application. So in good faith, i definitely recommend you should take the lab.

Why are you not taking it?

thank you! im graduating this semester so i dont want to spend money on a class that is not necessary. However, based on your post, I guess Orgo II lab is a necessity for many schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! im graduating this semester so i dont want to spend money on a class that is not necessary. However, based on your post, I guess Orgo II lab is a necessity for many schools!

I think you should definitely take it. As UltimateHombre said, many schools require 8 credits of organic chemistry, which would obviously include the laboratory portion of it.

The only thing I would advise is to be aware that at some universities organic chemistry isn't split up so you can take the lecture and the laboratory sections separately (even if you have taken organic chemistry 2 lecture previously), so make sure to check that with the chemistry department at the school you're planning on attending.