What schools should I apply for. Application review assistance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD4Life89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a cumulative GPA of 3.53 in Honors biochemistry with a minor in english from the University of Texas at Arlington. My science GPA is a 3.3. I am a first generation desperately low income applicant=). Asian American decent.

I have worked in the ER for a year with over 1000 hours of experience while in my sophomore year.

I volunteered in hospitals and local clinics for at least 6 hours a month before working in the ER and currently.

I have had a year of lab research experience. In that time I have won presentation and poster awards (only one in my major). The research is in progress of being published. I have won a summer research scholarship aimed at furthering my research skills this summer.

I have volunteered at local homeless shelters babysitting children, Mission Arlington clinic, statewide community volunteer programs such as Mission mercy, and tutoring to students on campus as well as high school students. I initiated, organized, and funded several community service projects throughout my college career. A few which reached the schools paper.

I have been a president of a National Leadership honor society on campus and also a of a pre-medical society on campus. Each of which, I have drastically increased the level of student interaction and networking, as well as producing community service projects that will be carried down the generations in the society. Each of which has been nominated 2 years in a row as being the most excellent organization on campus.

I have worked as a manger of a local restaurant for a year while being in school (Junior and Senior). I worked as a physician's assistant in the ER for a year (Sophmore). I started my own Tutoring company in my junior year, employing and directing student tutors around our city contracting with parents and families to assist their children in their school work. It was also a mentoring like program where we assisted students in transitioning from high school to college (assisting in applications, financial aid, and study habits) I have worked since the beginning of my college career when I was 17 because my now wife became pregnant with our 5 year old son.

I will be taking the MCAT this upcoming fall.

Letter of recommendations will be very positive.

My question is based on my above statistics if I score well enough on the MCAT, which medical schools should I apply for? I would like to get into a top tier school, but with my GPA I don't know if that's possible. Considering I had to work to support my family throughout these last few years with my wife going to school as well. This was the best I can do. Any comments would be overwhelmingly appreciated. Any suggestions to further improve my application would also be appreciated. Thank you!!!

P.S. My goal is to be an Oncologist if everything works out =)

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have a cumulative GPA of 3.53 in Honors biochemistry with a minor in english from the University of Texas at Arlington. My science GPA is a 3.3. I am a first generation desperately low income applicant=). Asian American decent.

I have worked in the ER for a year with over 1000 hours of experience while in my sophomore year.

I volunteered in hospitals and local clinics for at least 6 hours a month before working in the ER and currently.

I have had a year of lab research experience. In that time I have won presentation and poster awards (only one in my major). The research is in progress of being published. I have won a summer research scholarship aimed at furthering my research skills this summer.

I have volunteered at local homeless shelters babysitting children, Mission Arlington clinic, statewide community volunteer programs such as Mission mercy, and tutoring to students on campus as well as high school students. I initiated, organized, and funded several community service projects throughout my college career. A few which reached the schools paper.

I have been a president of a National Leadership honor society on campus and also a of a pre-medical society on campus. Each of which, I have drastically increased the level of student interaction and networking, as well as producing community service projects that will be carried down the generations in the society. Each of which has been nominated 2 years in a row as being the most excellent organization on campus.

I have worked as a manger of a local restaurant for a year while being in school (Junior and Senior). I worked as a physician's assistant in the ER for a year (Sophmore). I started my own Tutoring company in my junior year, employing and directing student tutors around our city contracting with parents and families to assist their children in their school work. It was also a mentoring like program where we assisted students in transitioning from high school to college (assisting in applications, financial aid, and study habits) I have worked since the beginning of my college career when I was 17 because my now wife became pregnant with our 5 year old son.

I will be taking the MCAT this upcoming fall.

Letter of recommendations will be very positive.

My question is based on my above statistics if I score well enough on the MCAT, which medical schools should I apply for? I would like to get into a top tier school, but with my GPA I don't know if that's possible. Considering I had to work to support my family throughout these last few years with my wife going to school as well. This was the best I can do. Any comments would be overwhelmingly appreciated. Any suggestions to further improve my application would also be appreciated. Thank you!!!

P.S. My goal is to be an Oncologist if everything works out =)

Get a copy of the MSAR. It tells you all of the medical school's averages and other things. Mid- to low tier schools would take you if you had a decent MCAT and good EC's that you listed. I wouldn't hold out on the top tier schools taking you though. Remember a US MD is still a US MD. Good luck OP.:)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it immediately. =)