Medical What schools should I apply to as a reapplicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied the 2018-19 cycle, took this last one off, and will be re-applying this year. I received two interviews in 2018- the University of Utah and University of Arizona Tucson. I only applied MD (an obvious mistake). I’m 27 with a small family.

GPA: 3.8 (c), 3.6 (s)
MCAT: 500 —> 504 (126/125/126/127)
Ethnicity: White
State: Utah
Major: Chinese
Shadowing: >50 hours
Research: 3 publications and approx 1000 hrs.
Volunteering: 300 hrs at homeless health clinic, 200 at local hospital, and plenty more at other various places.
Work: 3 years as respiratory tech at a non-profit hospice company, 3 months as a youth mentor at drug rehabilitation center, and currently at Goldman Sachs (unrelated to medical, obviously).

I’ve been compiling a list using MSAR but would love a more experienced opinion on lower-tier MD schools, as well as good DO schools. Thanks in advance!
I suggest the following:
Work on interview skills
Oakland U Beaumont (505+)

Gtown

EVMS

Rush (505+)

SLU (maybe)

MCW

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

Loyola

MCW

Rosy Franklin

Seton Hall

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

WVU if from the Appalachians

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Members don't see this ad.

What feedback did you get from the schools that interviewed you? Was it just your low MCAT, you think? I agree that DO schools especially on the coasts with or near significant Asian populations would be interested in you. Have you been/Were you able to gain a clinical experience volunteering in an Asian-centered community health center? Get a copy of the AACOMAS CIB (AAMC MSAR equivalent for DO schools).

MCAT and interview, at least for one of the schools. I even did practice MMI’s offered by the schools pre med advisors and did really well. Game day was different I guess. I haven’t done anything that specific geared towards the Asian community but I will look into those schools using AACOMAS CIB. Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.