What schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trueblue816

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I'm a borderline candidate because of my GPA so I was curious as to what osteopathic schools I should apply to? I'm currently in a Master of Public Health program, and I'm concentrating in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, which mainly focuses on social and behavioral sciences. I plan to apply in summer 2015 for admission in 2016. So please be honest about my chances and what schools I should apply to

•Year in school: first year of MPH program; received my bachelors degree in psychobiology in May 2014

•Cumulative GPA: 3.55 - My freshman year was an utter failure b/c I was dealing with severe anxiety (as well as self-harm) related to questioning my sexuality and coming out to my family and friends. Also, I had difficulties in focusing and concentrating. But I improved dramatically in my junior and senior years, so I hope med school admissions committees just get distracted by my good grades in those years.

•Science GPA: 3.37 (hoping both my GPAs improve after a year of grad school)

•MCAT Scores: 33 (10PS, 12VR, 11BS) from Aug 2014 - that was a SHOCK. I literally refreshed the page 10x when I saw the score b/c I could not believe that an idiot such as myself could score a 33.

•Research – I was a research assistant for 2 years on a study that examined the beneficial effects of cognitive-processing therapy on gay/bisexual men who experienced childhood sexual abuse. Basically, the study is trying to see if CPT reduces PTSD symptoms and risky sexual behavior in these men. I was in charge of recruiting subjects for the study, which involved going to clinics, LGBT community centers, etc. to advertise, and screened interested people for eligibility through interviews in person or through the phone. I also did boring stuff like data entry.

•Volunteering (clinical) – 150 hours at Miami Children's Hospital as a bedside buddy

•Physician shadowing – 70 hours shadowing plastic surgery residents (I got to see them perform a sex reassignment surgery which was the best shadowing experience EVER), 40 hours shadowing internal medicine residents.

•Extracurricular activities: Vice President of Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-health honor society), Corporate Relations chair for Dance Marathon, Workshop Leader for general biology

•Specialty of interest - PSYCHIATRY and also neurology. But psychiatry especially. Psychiatrists are basically the bridge between the psychological and neurological factors in mental health, which is what attracts me so much to the career.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply wherever you want. You need to work on your self esteem.

I assume you're from Florida

Here is a start
University of Miami
NSU
Lecom bradenton
FSU
UCF
FAU
PCOM ga
Emory
Pick some more

Send app in this second.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Here is a start
University of Miami
NSU
Lecom bradenton
FSU
UCF
FAU
PCOM ga
Emory
Pick some more

Send app in this second.

Thank you! However, I was only asking about osteopathic schools. I already have some allopathic schools in mind. Also, I'm applying for 2016 admission so I still have a bit of time thankfully...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! However, I was only asking about osteopathic schools. I already have some allopathic schools in mind. Also, I'm applying for 2016 admission so I still have a bit of time thankfully...

Look up osteopathic schools you would like to go to.

Location/cost/education/match/rotations should be major things to consider.

Reactions: 1 user

Here is a start
University of Miami
NSU
Lecom bradenton
FSU
UCF
FAU
PCOM ga
Emory
Pick some more

Send app in this second.
I would say OP needs to save some money for interviews as well, he'll likely be getting tons of those come 2016!

I would say OP needs to save some money for interviews as well, he'll likely be getting tons of those come 2016!

And assuming OP interviews well there should be acceptances :).

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Just to specify, I was only asking about what schools I should apply to based on GPA, MCAT, and other admissions factors - mainly, what schools would I have a reasonable chance of getting accepted to?

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Just to specify, I was only asking about what schools I should apply to based on GPA, MCAT, and other admissions factors - mainly, what schools would I have a reasonable chance of getting accepted to?

ur good for any DO school