Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am starting to make my school list in preparation for applying this upcoming cycle. I would love some advice on selecting some realistic mid-tier schools to apply to, because my current list is very top-heavy, keeping in mind that I might get yield-protected from some schools. I don't have an in-state school, unfortunately. :( I would also love to get some general feedback on my application.

GPA (3.98, both science and regular) from a top private school (not HPYSM)
MCAT 522 (129/130/131/132)
White, non-disadvantaged background
Currently taking a gap year abroad with a pretty prestigious fellowship, doing public health research with underserved populations (in second language)

Volunteering non-clinical/leadership:
1000+ hours volunteering as a crisis response counselor for survivors of sexual assault helpline (also question on this--currently classifying this as non-clinical volunteering, would that be correct? Some have said this could be clinical, but unsure)
Leadership in that organization as well^
Leadership in an organization also related to education on sexual violence on campus
150 hours volunteering as a mentor to disadvantaged students applying to college

Research:
1000+ hours research, some clinical (publication being written), some for an undergraduate thesis (medical related, with underserved population, does a thesis count as a publication?), most for my current job)

Clinical:
150 hours volunteering at a hospital as an advocate for trauma victims
50 ish hours shadowing currently, will be higher by application time

Starting to volunteer at a hospital soon (this will be where I am living abroad, obviously not the most ideal but I feel that my clinical experience is lacking a bit and I feel volunteering here is relevant as I am well-versed in ethics of volunteering abroad, don't consider myself the typical "medical tourism" student, and am interested in a global health career)
Hope to do medical interpreting when I return to the US and volunteer as well

Most of my activities are within a certain "theme" that is also consistent with my career goals/trajectory, so I think that will be a very helpful aspect of my application. I think the weakest part of my application is my lack of true clinical hours (again, uncertain if crisis counseling would count as this). I should have that number up to at least 250 hours by June, again part of that will be internationally-based. Shadowing should be higher by then as well. And have already been looking at volunteer positions in the US for next year.

I would love some advice on:
1. General feedback on my application, ways to improve (keeping in mind I can't do any US-based shadowing or clinical volunteering until June)
2. My school list. Would love suggestions on mid-tiers to add, especially schools that are located in urban areas with a high underserved, immigrant population (many mid-tiers like Dartmouth and Rochester seem to be more rural, I obviously understand that beggars can't be choosers, but I am very interested in the the underserved populations often found in urban areas and would love to use my language skills). As well as if you think I should remove any of these schools!

1. Boston University
2. Duke
3. Harvard
4. Columbia
5. Stanford
6. Penn
7. Wash U
8. Cornell
9. NYU
10. Johns Hopkins
11. U Chicago
12. Northwestern
13. UCSF
14. UCLA
15. Brown
16. Emory
17. UCSD
18. Vanderbilt
19. Yale
20. Icahn Mount Sinai
21. Case Western
22. Baylor
23. Michigan?
24. Miami?

Thank you so much!!!
Congratulations on your fellowship. What is the second language or community? That may help with picking your more focused second tier schools. Also what medical schools are associated with the work you are doing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest the following:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
Case
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM

Thank you so much! @Goro

@Mr.Smile12 I think my response might have gotten deleted, but I was essentially saying that my interest very much lies with Latin American countries, I have experience with several. I agree with you about major urban centers/southern border so am trying to find some good schools to add that are less-likely to yield-protect against me. Unsure about Miami, their location would obviously be wonderful for my interests.

Did either of you have any thoughts about my application as a whole/areas for improvement before June? Thanks so much, really appreciate your time!

Improvements: keep working on gaining experience hours, especially clinical environments in the US. I think your Fulbright experience will give you some slack with many who are accustomed to such candidates. Goro is better at suggestions for medical schools; my opinions focus on fit based on networking. You should get some attention from many schools you apply to (don't be surprised at any rejections from schools that think they have no shot at you... again networking is important for this). As you are untethered as an applicant with no in-state advantages anywhere, this should be something worth considering. Again, fit your passions with the schools' educational missions and opportunities, and you will have a strong application showing why you would excel at a specific school.

Status
Not open for further replies.