Medical What schools should I apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I needed help with a school list. I will be applying for the 2021 cycle. I am planning on both DO and MD schools.
  • Asian Female, NJ Resident. Bilingual - can speak fluently in my native tongue, but I'm not as good with reading/writing it.
  • Biology major, Psychology Minor
  • 3.787 cGPA and 3.745 sGPA.
  • MCAT: 507 (128/125/128/126)
  • 271 clinical volunteering hours (Volunteering at a children's hospital, general hospital, and EMT).
  • 93 shadowing hours (sports medicine doctor, primary care doctors, 1 neurology doctor). All the doctors I shadowed were MDs. I had shadowing at DO offices lined up but due to the coronavirus situation I was unable to complete that shadowing.
  • About 135 non-clinical volunteering hours (habitat for humanity, soup kitchen, covid 19 housing hotline)
  • Work: Kumon, Dunkin' Donuts, Tutoring at my College
  • I also have been doing biology research since Fall 2018. Do not have a publication though.
  • I have been on the executive board for a couple orgs (Future Health Professionals, TriBeta). I recently became VP for our honors biology association (TriBeta) for the 2020-2021 school year and president for Future Health Professionals.
  • Dean's List all semesters. I'm in the Honors Program at my college (The College of New Jersey)
  • Competed for Medical Spelling at HOSA (Future Health Professional) State Conference NJ to get 1st place in 2019. Got 2nd place for a health career display event at the same conference in 2018.
  • Future: I also recently got hired as a medical scribe at an ER which is set to start August.
  • Hobbies: Tennis in free time, Reading, nothing extreme
  • LOR: have 6 (2 bio professors, 1 psych professor, Research mentor, 2 MDs)
This is what I came up with for my list. I posted this before but I made some changes. Wondering if I should remove/add any others? Was also wondering if I should apply to the Texas ones? I'm also unsure about which of these may be donations due to in state bias.

MD

• Albany Medical College
  • Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  • Howard University College of Medicine
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  • Drexel University College of Medicine
  • Florida State University College of Medicine
  • Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University
  • Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
  • Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  • Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
  • Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
  • Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian
  • University of New Mexico School of Medicine
  • Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shrevport?
DO

• Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
  • Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine – VA Campus
  • Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus
  • Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine Long Island AND NYITCOM at Arkansas State University
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Medicine
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
  • University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
I think your list of MD schools overall looks pretty good with your stats. You could add some mid-tier schools, but I think 17 is an acceptable number with your statistics, particularly since you plan to apply to DO schools.

That being said, with your stats, I don't think you need to apply to 17 DO schools. 10 should be plenty assuming you are a reasonable interviewee.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a fair number public schools that would be donations.

Do try to get in more nonclinical volunteering. Meals on Wheels is doable right now, as would be being a poll worker (a thing normally done by retired folks).

Here is a more reasonable list:
U VM (maybe)
Albany
Rush
Drexel (maybe)
NYMC (maybe)
Temple
Tulane
Wayne State
Netter
SLU
EVMS
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
MCW
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to a Keck summer program earlier this year and got accepted. They made it a virtual program due to COVID so I will still partake in it. But I was wondering if this, in any way, would help me if I applied to Keck Med? The MCAT average of 517 is definitely way above my score so I feel like there really is no benefit but just wondering.
Sorry, not a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.