Medical What schools should I apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to ask for advice on what’s my best course of action now for this cycle. First-time applicant and also first generation student so everything’s new to me.

I took the MCAT twice 1-2 years ago and got a 500 that went up to 507. I’ve submitted my primary to AMCAS and am currently waiting on verification, thinking that my new MCAT score would at least be above 510. I took it again on 7/18/20 and found out that it had dropped down to 505. Currently, my list is the 3 MD schools in South Carolina (I reside in SC) but would it be a waste of money to even apply MD since my MCAT is so low? I‘m also looking into DO schools too and it seems like I have time to apply this cycle but I’m worried that I don’t have the right activities since I’ve never shadowed a DO before. Is there anything else I can do at this point to buff up my application this cycle?

Specifics, if necessary:
Working as a full-time scribe with about 1,000+ hours and have shadowed MDs for 16 hours.
Community service of 106 hours but stopped due to work/COVID (I plan to volunteer as a proofreader for Project Gutenberg)
GPA: 3.46 (sGPA will depend on if AMCAS accepts my nutrition classes as biology)
So you took the MCAT 3 times (500, 507, 505)?

I think with your GPA I would apply to DO schools and your state schools. I am sure @Goro has a list of other MDs you may wanna try, but overall I think your app is more likely to get love from DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.