What schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayhawk90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My baseline stats are 3.65 gpa, 28 MCAT and solid ec's. What MD schools would I be competitive at?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, you might get more of a response and more help if you do some research first. Take a look at the MSAR and see where you might be competitive. Then ask questions. With your stats, I'd suggest some of the low-tier MD schools as slight reaches and the mid to high tier DO schools as well for a safer bet.

Not enough information to make an assessment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. Here is some more information.

I have shadowed two doctors over the course of my 3 years of college, one of which I did some research with.

I am volunteering at the local hospital once a week as well.

I am a resident of Kansas.

I am in a few honor societies/community service organizations on campus where I have served leadership roles.

I am signed up to take an MCAT early September to try and raise my score. I believe I will be able to do so.

Some places I have considered applying: KU, Creighton, Missouri, Michigan State, Loyola-Chicago, George Washington, Oklahoma, Nebraska

Thank you

Your EC are solid as you said. I would suggest applying to UIC, Rush, Drexel, NYMC, Buffalo, Arizona, Oakland, Cooper, EVMS, VCU, and maybe even Georgetown as a reach.

you have a shot at your instate and affiliated states.

kill the MCAT and worry about other things later.

apply to the new schools except the one in NJ, I "heard" its mostly instate.

Another question: I know that my best odds are with my in-state school, but what are some good out of state options that tend to consider more applicants from out of state? In case in state school does not work, I'd like to know here my best odds are to apply.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Another question: I know that my best odds are with my in-state school, but what are some good out of state options that tend to consider more applicants from out of state? In case in state school does not work, I'd like to know here my best odds are to apply.

You will easily find the answer to this question in the MSAR

Use the MSAR.

That said, private schools. Your GPA and MCAT are not generally competitive for most out of state public schools. (Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.) Your best bet will be your in-state MD, a few low-tier MD privates, and lots of DO schools. Plan to apply to about 15-20 schools with your stats. (I would suggest 3-5 mid-tier DO programs, 5-10 strong DO programs, your state MD school, and 3-5 low-tier private MD programs with no state preference.)

I am not by a computer so I can't tell you the EXACT percentage, but I noticed you listed oklahoma. Oklahoma is required by school policy to accept atleast 85% of oklahoma residents per session. I believe it is either 75%-85% sorry about the unsure facts here. But that being said you should still apply to the school if you are interested and let the AdCom do the choosing.