1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What score gives you a "really good chance"?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by walrus, Oct 5, 2002.

1. walrus

walrus Member
    7+ Year Member

What MCAT score gives you a fairly good certainty that you'll get into a DO school. Are we talking 25, 26...? Does anyone know the average MCAT scores for the top DO programs?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nunez

nunez New Member

Make no mistake about it D.O. schools are competitive. You would be suprised to know that most D.O. students have high MCAT scores in the 30's.

4. applicant2002

applicant2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

IMHO, an MCAT score above 30 makes one a competetive candidate. (along with a gpa above 3.5) this is considering numbers alone.

but you can't really say that numbers alone make for an interview and acceptance.

5. walrus

walrus Member
    7+ Year Member

But I'm talking realistically here. How many applikcants actually have an MCAT over 30? I dare say very few. If the average MCAT score for a place like NYCOM is 25, I'm just wondering:

a) what score you need to get an interview
    b) what score you need for there to be a good chance you'll get in

This is all assuming that the other parts of your application are sufficient.

I'm just wondering, for example, if someone with a 24 can expect to get an interview. Or if someone with a 27 can realistically expect to get in. Just wondering...

6. applicant2002

10+ Year Member

numbers alone does not guarentee acceptance, but generally, the higher one's mcat score, the better the chance of getting in all other things being equal.

but, one really should not go by school averages to determine whether one is going to get in, becuase ad coms look at the whole picture, not just parts.

so a person with a 24 with great ec's and lots of experience may have a better chance that a person with a 27 with no ec's (even a person with a 30+ with no ec's hardly stands a chance)

so basically, there is no straight numbers to answer your question, IMHO
    good luck with your app

7. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm sure many students did get 30's on their MCAT, but If the average is 25--26 than a lot of students got in the lower 20's. Numbers don't always matter. It's the entire package that counts.

8. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought the national average for DO schools was an MCAT in the range of 25-27 ?? I freaked out in June b/c my April MCAT was a 23 Q, and so retook in Aug. and now have a 25 P which I feel will atleast get me an interview in some schools.

9. nunez

nunez New Member

Don't forget that average MCAT scores for a school may be misleading because some of those students may have had connections or have gotten preference because they are a minority. Most students I know that had low MCAT scores had to consider other options.

10. applicant2002

10+ Year Member

i think that the take home message should be this. every candidate is unique, and one should not hold back their application b/c of a slightly low MCAT score. DO schools have a reputation for looking at the whole picture, and each candidate is unique.

give it your best shot! good luck to all applicants of the class of 07!:clap:

11. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I hated the MCAT. I found it to be a worthless freaking exam!! I had been a practicing PA for 4 years when I decided to go back and become a physician, but for my PA program we were never required to take physics or organic. Thus, I actually took the MCAT without taking organic or physics (summer Aug 2001) and made a 23. I then took organic and physics in the following two semesters. But my point is that I made it through PA school which in all honesty was as rigorous as I now find medical school, without ever taking physics or organic. My GPA was a 3.9, and as a PA I probably made a good candidate for medical admission, thus my case shows that the MCAT can have no relevance, and the admission committees agreed. I think the MCAT helps to separate the cream of the 22 year old crop with high GPA's and no life experience to speak of. Otherwise it just plain makes no sense. I have yet to need physics in medical school and the organic has been no real help. Now Biochem...that is something I would recommend putting on the MCAT more heavily, as well as more genetics. If I made the MCAT, it would consist of biochem basics, cell bio, A & P, and genetics. This stuff is useful, and that way premeds don't waste time studying gen-chem and BS like physics. Physics was totally worthless, and could be taught to premeds in a survey format that really relates to medicine instead of all that painful math. Just my two cents.

12. kirkdo

kirkdo Member
    7+ Year Member

Knowledge of physics is pivital to many fields in medicine. As a physician you need to be well rounded in all of the sciences in order to provide the most optimal care to your patients.

13. dkwyler94

dkwyler94 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I applied to both DO and MD schools with a pretty decent GPA and MKAT. I got interviews at about 50% of each. Some of the schools I had above average MKAT and GPA, but was still not offered an interview. I did find DO schools try to look at the whole picture a little more, and ECs played a larger role. (based on application and interview experience).

As far as the last "open-it" comment goes, might I recommend people ignore his comment. Many people on this list seem to be rather insecure and enjoy the attention they get when they stir the pot a little. Just ignore it, and it will go away.

Good luck to getting in.
    KCOM-2005

14. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No score guarantees an interview.

Thank you.

15. Nic_machiavelli

7+ Year Member

Exactly, JP.

And no score disqualifies you either.

16. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sweet! Not having a scored MCAT will fly? :) Just kidding!

In my few interviews thus far, a few people were really worried that their MCAT scores were too low for serious looks at acceptance. They were talking about 22-24 range. One person had like a 19, but was retaking. Admissions directors at these schools all mentioned that if you are interviewing, your scores are good enough to get in. BTW, these were Sept. interviews, and both MD and DO.

That being said, you may get an interview, but as available spots dwindle, higher scores may get you a better look. But then again, maybe not. I'm willing to bet money that somewhere, an adcom is throwing darts at apps stapled to the walls, trying to figure out who gets in.