What score should I be aiming for on my MCAT tomorrow to really help my chances?

So I've already submitted my AACOMAS app, I did that in June. Around that time I found out that my August 2013 MCAT is expired at about half of the schools I applied to, so I began studying and I'm retaking it tomorrow. I'll get my scores on Sept 20.

I've completed secondaries for the schools that will use my old MCAT but haven't for the schools that want me to retake since my app won't be complete till Sept 20th at the earliest.

My cGPA is a 3.54, and my sGPA is a 3.51. As well, my old MCAT which I took after my second year of college was a 32 (11/10/11).

Before you all tell me that my app is in great standing, there are some things that I should point out which may be working against me to some degree. I figure I should highlight all of the down sides of my app so I can get a clearer picture regarding my chances at an acceptance from you guys.

Firstly, I went to a Canadian school (university of Toronto) and I'm applying to US D.O schools. I'm a California resident but I'm not sure if they are concerned about going to a university in Canada. I am a Canadian by birth, but I have a US green card.

Secondly, my GPA is only what it is because of extensive course retakes. My first year in school I was on Academic probation, I don't know how much of a red flag that is for people seeing my app. I definitely have a huge upward trend through all my college years but that is due in part to being almost unable to go down from my first year grades and also because I was basically taking first year basic sciences courses at a community after graduating with a BSc. I did get straight As in my last year though. Without grade replacement I have a 3.0, luckily DO schools have grade replacement

Thirdly, though my extra curricular are not bad, I don't have DO shadowing experience, there really aren't many DOs in Canada at all, and when I returned to SoCal I tried to find a DO who would let me shadow him but couldn't. My experiences mostly involve working with physicians, but I wasn't shadowing, I was assisting with research they were doing.

Fourth, my app will also not be early at most schools since it won't fully be complete till late Sept and they probably won't indicate it's fully complete till early October. I was planning on applying early and having that advantage, but I've lost it now.

Lastly, one of the schools who said they would accept my old MCAT was LECOM-B and they've seemingly already rejected my app before even offering an interview. I'm unsure as to why.

With all this in mind, my MCAT tomorrow is a final opportunity to really bolster my application. It could be a blessing in disguise. What score should I be aiming for? I believe a 32 is the equivalent of a 510, what would it say if I scored a 510 or 511 on this MCAT? It wouldn't really show improvement, and I'd assume these schools would want to see that.

The rejection from LECOM before getting an interview really rattled me and I'm not quite as optimistic as a I was prior to it. I thought with my GPA and MCAT that I should at least be offered an interview since they are both at or above their averages, but no dice, apparently their admissions board did not agree.

I've listed every possible down side of my application here, can you guys help me figure out what I at least need to score tomorrow?

Obviously, the logical answer is "As high as possible", but with that in mind I should be aiming for a 528 which is unreasonable. I'm trying to decide on a threshold score where if I meet that target I can feel good about improving my odds.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
528.... Honestly just aim as high as you can.

-the Canadian university is not an issue

-don't worry about LECOM-B, they rejected me with a higher MCAT but I have 5 II so I don't really care.

-you have a good app, just do as well as you can on the mcat

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
A 510 would be an excellent score. 500 minimum.

ctran019

forever med student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2009
California
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
my old MCAT which I took after my second year of college was a 32 (11/10/11).
Just get this same score on the new MCAT and you'll be solid for all the DO schools.

Jan 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
528.... Honestly just aim as high as you can.

-the Canadian university is not an issue

-don't worry about LECOM-B, they rejected me with a higher MCAT but I have 5 II so I don't really care.

-you have a good app, just do as well as you can on the mcat
mind sharing what interviews? High MCAT as in 510+ ?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
mind sharing what interviews? High MCAT as in 510+ ?
My app is pretty distinct so I'm going to post all my cycle info after it's over. Yeah my MCAT is between 90th-100th percentile.