What scores for good Peds Res?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted21609

Does anyone know what kinds of scores are needed for a USIMG to get into a top(ish) Peds program?

Specific , recent examples would be especially helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps it would be more helpful if you stated the following:

A) What school you're at / plan to attend?

B) What you mean by a "top(ish)" program? (For example, there's a lot of variability and subjectivity between programs that cannot necessarily be quantified. Factors to consider are where you want to live, what kind of fellowships after you complete your basic Peds you want to do (if any), and what type of practice/which state you ultimately want to practice in. And, because of that it "top(ish)" can rapidly become very subjective.)

In the meantime, look at the match lists on some of the bigger off-shore/European (and others) schools. This should help you get an idea about where people are getting spots.

Peds is typically not all that competitive, however don't expect to be doing your residency at Boston Children's or similar if you go off-shore.

-Skip

That message was not really helpful at all. Well, some of it sounds like an attempt to be helpful although it is actually just telling me what I already know without answering my question.

To answer your questions: I am in school in Ireland. By top(ish) I mean programs with really good reputations but not the top 20 or so. I realize that which programs are toward the top is a matter of opinion, but any reasonable examples would be welcome and appreciated.

I know that I can see where FMG's have matched, but their USMLE scores are never included. That is why I posted the question. I thought that was obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by student.ie
That message was a little preachy and not really helpful at all. Well, some of it sounds like an attempt to be helpful although it is actually just telling me what I already know without answering my question.

Well, it wasn't my intent. Perhaps you should be a little less sensitive. :)

I think, to add to what Dr. Cuts said, that there are probably many other factors that go into determining a good candidate besides just board score. We are not program directors, though, so anything here would only be speculation. Likewise, I doubt that you are likely to get a lot of the feedback to the specific question you asked in this forum. First, you'd have to make the assumption that a lot of peds residents in "top(ish)" programs participate in this specific forum and can provide you a representative sample, which is (again) not likely.

You're best bet (and you seem to already know this) is reviewing the match lists. This will give you a good indication of the types of programs fellow students in your situation get into. You should always "go for the gold" if you have your heart set on a particular program, and perhaps good LORs and other achievements (in addition to your scores) may get you and interview and ultimately a spot.

If you're still not satisfied, I'd suggest, instead, that you post this question in the Pediatrics forum (if you haven't already). You might get more bites there.

-Skip

And, look on www.ama-assn.org website to find specific links to programs using their FREIDA database. Direct contact and inquiries always seem to work best.

Good luck,

-Skip

Have you sent direct inquiries about this sort of thing? I haven't tried asking about USMLE for IMG's because I assumed that they would just say something like they look at the whole applicant or whatever without actually answering the question. Maybe they would tell me though. It's worth a shot I suppose. Cheers.