What service do you use for LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found interfolio but i think it is expensive ($5 per letter). So if there are 3 letters per school then I am applying to about 35 schools = $525 just for the LORs... This sucks. Anything cheaper?

Members don't see this ad.

My old undergrad let me use their service even though I graduated 10 years ago.

Creightonite said:
I found interfolio but i think it is expensive ($5 per letter). So if there are 3 letters per school then I am applying to about 35 schools = $525 just for the LORs... This sucks. Anything cheaper?
Who said Interfolio was $5 per letter? Interfolio charges *per delivery*, and they don't care how many letters are in a delivery. I believe a standard letter delivery using US Mail is around $6... and $9-12 for 2-day express mail - it goes higher if you want overnight or same-day delivery. I used Interfolio and was totally impressed with their service and I thought that the rates were quite reasonable. If you are applying to 35 schools, I would certainly plan on using Interfolio because asking any professor or school to address 35 letters seems a little unreasonable to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The school where I was taking post-bacc courses at had a Pre-Med Office. All I had to do was supply stamps for mailing and they would collect the LORs and mail them out "certified".

Non-TradTulsa said:
Who said Interfolio was $5 per letter? Interfolio charges *per delivery*, and they don't care how many letters are in a delivery. I believe a standard letter delivery using US Mail is around $6... and $9-12 for 2-day express mail - it goes higher if you want overnight or same-day delivery. I used Interfolio and was totally impressed with their service and I thought that the rates were quite reasonable. If you are applying to 35 schools, I would certainly plan on using Interfolio because asking any professor or school to address 35 letters seems a little unreasonable to me.

That's cheap then... Great site!!! Saves soo much time and it is worth $5 per school.

Creightonite said:
That's cheap then... Great site!!! Saves soo much time and it is worth $5 per school.
I certainly liked it! Honestly, if your school has a letter service, you can use them - but you're at their mercy if they mess up. And a friend of mine didn't use Interfolio and decided to add more schools late in the season - guess what happened - once his letters had been mailed the first time, he had a hard time getting anybody to answer his calls, let alone send out more letters - it was a nightmare. Once a letter is at Interfolio - you have *control* of where it goes and when it goes. That was worth the fee to me. My professors are also now totally sold on it - they loved sending one envelope! Good luck to you.

Oh, a tip - some of my professors couldn't decide how to address an Interfolio letter. "Dear Admissions Committee:" is just dandy.

Being a non-trad, like myself, did any of you experience any difficulty when using interfolio, even when the med school specifically asked for a premed committee letter? I do have a pre-med committe at my school but plan not to use them because they will delay the completion of my application and I am now a grad student that was working for 2+ years before returning to grad school. I don't feel as if I have a real connection to them.

usually there's a space on the secondary application to explain why you're not using the committee letter; your reason is completely valid. most schools will let you substitute individual letters for the committee letter.

Is there any advantage to using the committee letter? My LORs come from people that know me very well and I'm worried that the committee would not be able to do as good a job as my reccommenders. It doesn't seem to make sense for me to fly cross country to my under grad school and interview with someone who doesn't know me just to have them synthesize my quality LORs into something that may not be as good. Anyone have any input?

AMPed said:
Is there any advantage to using the committee letter? My LORs come from people that know me very well and I'm worried that the committee would not be able to do as good a job as my reccommenders. It doesn't seem to make sense for me to fly cross country to my under grad school and interview with someone who doesn't know me just to have them synthesize my quality LORs into something that may not be as good. Anyone have any input?
I was in the same boat, out of college for 10 yrs. only 1 teacher I knew remained in the school. I didn't use a committee letter but copied my LOR's, had them sign it, then sent them out together to each school. I applied to a bunch of schools and it wasn't expensive at all (the LOR's that is). make sure you add an additional letter on your app stating why you decided not to use a committee letter otherwise your app could get held up on someone's desk.

OK, I have had a couple people say they will write me LOR's when the time comes. When is the right time if I am not applying for 2 more years?

Also, my undergrad school has NO PRE-MED COMMITTEE. There is no one to ask from a committee and I am doing my degree through the College of Continuing Education so the med school would have no clue who my advisor is.

And lastly, what do you do if there is a school that requires an LOR in a specific format? For instance, I have seen a couple that have forms for people to fill out like an evaluation at the end of the semester:
Student A was nice to others 1 2 3 4 5
Student A asked relevent questions 1 2 3 4 5
(1 being poor and 5 being excellent) et cetera....
How would I get something like that completed and given to a service?

OBRN2MD said:
OK, I have had a couple people say they will write me LOR's when the time comes. When is the right time if I am not applying for 2 more years?

Also, my undergrad school has NO PRE-MED COMMITTEE. There is no one to ask from a committee and I am doing my degree through the College of Continuing Education so the med school would have no clue who my advisor is.

And lastly, what do you do if there is a school that requires an LOR in a specific format? For instance, I have seen a couple that have forms for people to fill out like an evaluation at the end of the semester:
Student A was nice to others 1 2 3 4 5
Student A asked relevent questions 1 2 3 4 5
(1 being poor and 5 being excellent) et cetera....
How would I get something like that completed and given to a service?
timing of letter...you can get it now and then have them change the date or add info later. but it's better to chat with them a few months before you need it so they can write a current one.

not having a pre med committee is no problem. I found 1 professor, substituted my other professor letter with my work supervisor, and of course a MD/DO letter. I never put down an advisor's name in any of my apps. just make sure you type up a very short letter stating why.

the specific format letters I had composed of 2 portions: on the written question portion I typed in "please see attached reference letter", attach the reference letter, give your person a stamped envelope and ask them to circle a few numbers, sign it, drop in the mail for you. or they may want you to fill out the numbers and they'll just sign it. the schools I spoke with said this is their system of evaluating apps so I could't get around it.

chopstick1 said:
timing of letter...you can get it now and then have them change the date or add info later. but it's better to chat with them a few months before you need it so they can write a current one.

not having a pre med committee is no problem. I found 1 professor, substituted my other professor letter with my work supervisor, and of course a MD/DO letter. I never put down an advisor's name in any of my apps. just make sure you type up a very short letter stating why.

the specific format letters I had composed of 2 portions: on the written question portion I typed in "please see attached reference letter", attach the reference letter, give your person a stamped envelope and ask them to circle a few numbers, sign it, drop in the mail for you. or they may want you to fill out the numbers and they'll just sign it. the schools I spoke with said this is their system of evaluating apps so I could't get around it.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Without a premed advisor, this process is 100 times more difficult than it needs to be.

How do you guys know what kind of letters a school requires? I keep hearing people say, "...and I needed one from an MD, 2 from science professors, etc."

AMPed said:

so the consensus is that even if you have a pre-med committe you do not have to use them?. i am also using interfolio, i did not know my pre-med committee that well and i dont want to wait on them or ask them to send it out bc i am sure something will get messed up.

Has anyone done this or is this idiotic?

I asked my profs to write LOR's on their letterhead, ( I don't have a committee to go to) and I was going to photocopy them and send them to each of the 12 schools to which I am applying. Am I missing something?

I don't understand why I should pay a service like interfolio?

Thanks!!

Sporky said:
Has anyone done this or is this idiotic?

I asked my profs to write LOR's on their letterhead, ( I don't have a committee to go to) and I was going to photocopy them and send them to each of the 12 schools to which I am applying. Am I missing something?

I don't understand why I should pay a service like interfolio?

Thanks!!

You aren't allowed to handle the letters. They must be sent directly from your recommenders, or via a confidential service, be it through your school or Interfolio.

EazyE said:
so the consensus is that even if you have a pre-med committe you do not have to use them?.
Most of the schools I've seen have said that you MUST use your pre-med committee letter if your school has one. They only accept individual professor letters in addition to that or if your school does not have a pre-med committee letter.

I'm sure you could appeal if your reasons were right, but it might be a challenge.

My undergrad, and many others, only will provide committee letters for you up to five years after graduation. I just reached the five-year point, so I'm out of contention. It's individuals and Interfolio for me!